Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> on 2006/12/07 19:35:38 UTC

maven proxy question

I am using the maven proxy as described in
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Using+Maven+in+a+corporate+environment,
but I am observing spurious build failures due to some of the actual
remote sites not always responding in a timely manner.

Is there a way to configure maven proxy to not fail, but to simply send
the cached version instead? Should I just set the cache timeout to some
really large value? What I would like, though, is that it does try to
get an update, but not fail if the update fails?
--
cg

Re: maven proxy question

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
See http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=7751368&framed=y&skin=177

You may need to change where you are point maven-proxy at.

I've updated the maven-proxy to point to
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/ instead of
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2 and all appears to be well.

Re: maven proxy question

Posted by Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com>.
Barrie Treloar wrote:

> Can you paste in the types of build failures you are getting?

I get the usual "cannot find artifact, can you upload it with the
following commands" error.

I changed the the proxy setting to not check for pom file updates, and
I'll see if it happens again.

Proxy log shows:

2006-12-07 08:58:45,707 [ERROR] proxy.config.RepoConfiguration  -
Repo[www-ibiblio-org]: Failure getting meta information for
/org/apache/apache/1/apache-1.pom
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out

2006-12-07 08:58:45,708 [INFO ] components.impl.DefaultSnapshotCache  -
Updating /org/apache/apache/1/apache-1.pom in snapshot cache
2006-12-07 08:58:45,708 [ERROR] proxy.engine.DownloadEngine  -
org.apache.maven.proxy.engine.RepoAccessException:

Re: maven proxy question

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 12/8/06, Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> wrote:
> I am using the maven proxy as described in
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Using+Maven+in+a+corporate+environment,
> but I am observing spurious build failures due to some of the actual
> remote sites not always responding in a timely manner.
>
> Is there a way to configure maven proxy to not fail, but to simply send
> the cached version instead? Should I just set the cache timeout to some
> really large value? What I would like, though, is that it does try to
> get an update, but not fail if the update fails?

Can you paste in the types of build failures you are getting?

I haven't looked in our logs for a long time.
Having a quick browse I am seeing
2006-12-07 16:31:43,168 [WARN ] commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase  -
Error getting URI host
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Redirect from host
www.ibiblio.org to mirrors.ibiblio.org is not supported
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.checkValidRedirect(HttpMethodBase.java:1237)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRedirectResponse(HttpMethodBase.java:1185)

But my builds are still working...

Archiva will eventually superced mvn-proxy. But Archiva isn't ready
for general use yet.

Re: maven proxy question

Posted by Aaron Metzger <am...@silkspeed.com>.
Alexandre Poitras wrote:
> You should gave a look at Mergere Maestro (open source) which include
> Maven Archiva. Maven Proxy is outdated and no longer under
> development.

Does Maestro also subsume most of the functionality of "Proximity"?

  http://proximity.abstracthorizon.org/quick-start.html

Re: maven proxy question

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.