Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/10 13:54:02 UTC

[PROPOSAL][www] Redirected br.openoffice.org

Hi.

To organize!

About: br.openoffice.org is redirected to openoffice.org/pt-br

"I'm think and discurssing with some members of the brazilian community, a
portal for news, events, etc. and another (the primary) only important,
news, download, more information.

What do you say ?

The primary / *first*: openoffice.org/pt-br "

We want use the base of AOO, don't anything separately.

So, we could use br.openoffice.org beging secondary ? If it were allowed to
use the existing infra.

Regards,
Albino

Re: [PROPOSAL][www] Redirected br.openoffice.org

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/11 Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de>

> Am 05/10/2012 02:56 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

Hi.

I'd like to give my  cents also...

> Rob is right. IMHO we shouldn't care about the country as we don't do any
> localization work for specific countries. It's all about languages only.

Yes, I agree... But....

> Please have a look for the install files. The ISO code at the end (in
> front of the file extension) is for languages. So, the "de" packages can be
> used by every German-speaking people all over the world. It's not for
> people in Germany only.

I was wondering how many countries in the world speak German =)    But I
got another example:

Every translation to Spanish is read by all Spanish speaking countries (and
they are many) despite the regionalisms. The brazilian case is quite
interesting because we can easily read pt-PT texts and all the other
portuguese speaking countries can do it with our texts also. However, when
all the others countries easily comunicate to each other, we brazilians
feel a bit unconfortable reading pt-PT texts (I don't know if they feel the
same about pt-BR).

Another point is the community size. Brazilian users communtiy is far
larger than any other portuguese speaking country. The last Orthografic
Agreement is trying to reduce the distance between pt-BR and pt-PT,
unifying the way we write portuguese words, but this is not enough. There
are words meaning diferent things in both languages. For example: the word
"bicha" in pt-PT means a "row of people". In pt-BR it means "fagot" (sorry
for this example, but it shows the size of the disaster if we do the wrong
thing).

I think it's unfair disregard other countries, but it's also unfair include
brazilian people in (pt-)PT language. So the only way I see is allowing a
country oriented language in this particular case.

> So, IMHO we should create any new domains/subdomains/redirects in context
> with language ISO codes (see here for a complete (?) list of all code OOo
> has and AOO can support:
>
> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Languages<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages>

Yes, I agree. I just told all the above because I've created a category and
some pages in PT-BR in the wiki, and someone questioned me (in my
discussion page) why I've done that since there already was a PT category
and pages.

Anyway, the decision should include not only a website, but all the
language related issues.

> PS:
> Yes, br = Breton and uk = Ukrainian.
>
> Also for me, my 2 ct.
>
> Marcus

 Cheers.

--
Paulo de Souza Lima
Técnico em Eletrônica e Administrador

Re: [PROPOSAL][www] Redirected br.openoffice.org

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Albino Biasutti Neto
<bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/10 Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> To organize!
>>
>> About: br.openoffice.org is redirected to openoffice.org/pt-br
>>
>> "I'm think and discurssing with some members of the brazilian community, a
>> portal for news, events, etc. and another (the primary) only important,
>> news, download, more information.
>>
>> What do you say ?
>>
>> The primary / *first*: openoffice.org/pt-br "
>>
>> We want use the base of AOO, don't anything separately.
>>
>> So, we could use br.openoffice.org beging secondary ? If it were allowed
>> to use the existing infra.
>>

> New idea, sorry.
>
> Create pt-br.openoffice.org (secondary) ? Because it's similar
> openoffice.org/pt-br
>
> The redirected br.openoffice.org to openoffice.org/pt-br, Ok!
>
> More opinions.

Personally I'd avoid creating aliases unless there is a good reason
to.   The NL pages so far have been language based, not country based.
 That is how it has been done in OOo as well.  Of course, we're not
tied to that approach for all eternity.  But consider where this could
lead us:

-- We currently have ja.openoffice.org, for Japanese language.  Do we
now create a country alias, for jp.openoffice.org ?

- We currently have de.openoffice.org for Germany language?  Do we
create aliases for Switzerland and  Austria?

This can quickly grow to a big task.  And remember, countries and
languages do not always align.  For example, more people speak
Armenian in the US than speak it in Armenia.  A popular language for
downloads from Israel is Russian.   The 5th largest Spanish speaking
population is the US.

So partitioning the website based on countries rather than languages
may not be as useful.

-Rob

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/10 Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>

> Hi.
>
> To organize!
>
> About: br.openoffice.org is redirected to openoffice.org/pt-br
>
> "I'm think and discurssing with some members of the brazilian community, a
> portal for news, events, etc. and another (the primary) only important,
> news, download, more information.
>
> What do you say ?
>
> The primary / *first*: openoffice.org/pt-br "
>
> We want use the base of AOO, don't anything separately.
>
> So, we could use br.openoffice.org beging secondary ? If it were allowed
> to use the existing infra.

New idea, sorry.