Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org> on 2002/07/02 10:38:26 UTC

Breaking things was Re: Binary Files

On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 10:06  AM, Fernando Padilla wrote:

> I have another question.  Which version of Xindice will we be able to
> break things to fix things?  Like the UTF-8 patch, that somepeople were
> scared to check in because it would break old installations, and doing
> the proper BinaryResource patch, which would break old installations, but
> fix all new ones...

We're already breaking things with the UTF-8 stuff that will be in 1.1. At
this point my opinion is that it is more important to get some real
forward momentum going in development then it is to worry about breaking
things. So it you or anyone else has ideas lets start moving forward with
them. Also we really need to add some new committers, the current set has
gone very inactive (unfortunately Tom and myself included). So if people
want to see things like BinaryResource support then let's see some code.
Things like that are a lot more likely to get in if there's code to drive
the discussion. Of course I suspect a working patch for BinaryResource
would have made it in without any major discussion. I probably would have
asked the list if anyone else wants it, and it would have been pretty
clear that people do.

Kimbro Staken
Java and XML Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org/xindice