Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Dedeyan <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2010/12/06 22:36:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache reverse proxy - intermittent problem loading Javascript

Hello,

 We have setup an Apache reverse proxy in front of our Jboss server. We are
experiencing an intermittent issue in the web application where a Javascript
file does not fully load and other times it does. We can see that when the file
is requested the number of bytes transferred is reduced when the problem occurs.

 In the httpd.conf file we have the following:

BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
#BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0

#
# The following directive disables redirects on non-GET requests for
# a directory that does not include the trailing slash.  This fixes a
# problem with Microsoft WebFolders which does not appropriately handle
# redirects for folders with DAV methods.
# Same deal with Apple's DAV filesystem and Gnome VFS support for DAV.
#
BrowserMatch "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider"
redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "MS FrontPage" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^WebDrive" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^WebDAVFS/1.[0123]" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^gnome-vfs/1.0" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^XML Spy" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^Dreamweaver-WebDAV-SCM1" redirect-carefully

Platform: CentOS for both the proxy and JBoss.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Any directions is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: [users@httpd] Apache reverse proxy - intermittent problem loading Javascript

Posted by Ray Van Dolson <rv...@esri.com>.
On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:36:44PM -0800, Richard Dedeyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  We have setup an Apache reverse proxy in front of our Jboss server. We are
> experiencing an intermittent issue in the web application where a Javascript
> file does not fully load and other times it does. We can see that when the file
> is requested the number of bytes transferred is reduced when the problem occurs.
>
>  In the httpd.conf file we have the following:
>
> BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
> BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
> BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
> #BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
> BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
> BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0
> BrowserMatch "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0
> BrowserMatch "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0
>
> #
> # The following directive disables redirects on non-GET requests for
> # a directory that does not include the trailing slash.  This fixes a
> # problem with Microsoft WebFolders which does not appropriately handle
> # redirects for folders with DAV methods.
> # Same deal with Apple's DAV filesystem and Gnome VFS support for DAV.
> #
> BrowserMatch "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider"
> redirect-carefully
> BrowserMatch "MS FrontPage" redirect-carefully
> BrowserMatch "^WebDrive" redirect-carefully
> BrowserMatch "^WebDAVFS/1.[0123]" redirect-carefully
> BrowserMatch "^gnome-vfs/1.0" redirect-carefully
> BrowserMatch "^XML Spy" redirect-carefully
> BrowserMatch "^Dreamweaver-WebDAV-SCM1" redirect-carefully
>
> Platform: CentOS for both the proxy and JBoss.
>
> Has anyone encountered this issue? Any directions is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

What about your actualy ProxyPass directives and other associated
options?

Do only certain browsers trigger the problem (trying to figure out why
you shared the above)?

Are you running mod_security or some other Layer 7 security tool?

Is the issue reproducible enough that you'd be able to capture a pcap
dump of a "broken" request?

Has the problem always existed?  If not, when did it start?

Ray