Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Plamen Jeliazkov <pl...@wandisco.com> on 2015/02/18 01:04:57 UTC

Encryption At Rest Question

Hey guys,

I had a question about how the new file encryption work done primarily in
HDFS-6134.

I was just curious, how is the DEK protected on the wire?
Particularly after the KMS decrypts the EDEK and returns it to the client.

Thanks,
-Plamen

--

5 reasons your Hadoop needs WANdisco
<http://www.wandisco.com/system/files/documentation/5-Reasons.pdf>

Listed on the London Stock Exchange: WAND
<http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/WAND:LN>

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and
destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone.  Any
distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains
by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views and
opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not
reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is authorized
by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.  All email
sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by
WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being
passed.

Re: Encryption At Rest Question

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for clarifying.

Indeed both the ways 1) via the contents of file block  and 2) looking at
the /.reserved/raw/.. confirms the file is encrypted.

Regards,
Rajesh

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Lamb <cl...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Charles Lamb <cl...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Charles Lamb <cl...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Charles Lamb <cl...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Charles Lamb <cl...@cloudera.com>.

RE: Encryption At Rest Question

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.
You can set some ACL on the KMS so you could have an open access from an HDFS ACL perspective but a restriction from KSM side.

Olivier

From: Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, 24 February 2015 22:16
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>

Thank you Olivier,

I suppose with the first suggestion - locking the dir to be unreadable for other users, the HDFS permissions would
kick in and prevent an unwarranted user to read them.
However, I wanted to see the actual encrypted data so I used the second approach you suggested. With hadoop fsck /mysecureDir -files -blocks -locations get the blocks for the directory, then go to the data node and perform a cat to see cryptic data for those block.

Regards,
Rajesh

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
You can try looking at it with a user who doesn't have permission to the folder. An alternative is to check which block it is on Linux and looking at the block using cat from a linux shell.

Olivier

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Olivier,

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Olivier,

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Olivier,

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Olivier,

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ranadip Chatterjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
In case of SSL enabled cluster, the DEK will be encrypted on the wire by
the SSL layer.

In case of non-SSL enabled cluster, it is not. But the intercepter only
gets the DEK and not the encrypted data, so the data is still safe. Only if
the intercepter also manages to gain access to the encrypted data block and
associate that with the corresponding DEK, then the data is compromised.
Given that each HDFS file has a different DEK, the intercepter has to gain
quite a bit of access before the data is compromised.

On 18 February 2015 at 00:04, Plamen Jeliazkov <
plamen.jeliazkov@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I had a question about how the new file encryption work done primarily in
> HDFS-6134.
>
> I was just curious, how is the DEK protected on the wire?
> Particularly after the KMS decrypts the EDEK and returns it to the client.
>
> Thanks,
> -Plamen
>

> 5 reasons your Hadoop needs WANdisco
> <http://www.wandisco.com/system/files/documentation/5-Reasons.pdf>
>
> Listed on the London Stock Exchange: WAND
> <http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/WAND:LN>
>
> THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
> PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
> subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or
> privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
> immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to
> anyone.  Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information
> it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views
> and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may
> not reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is
> authorized by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.
> All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and
> review by WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it
> does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses
> being passed.

Ranadip Chatterjee

Re: Encryption At Rest Question

Posted by Ranadip Chatterjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
In case of SSL enabled cluster, the DEK will be encrypted on the wire by
the SSL layer.

In case of non-SSL enabled cluster, it is not. But the intercepter only
gets the DEK and not the encrypted data, so the data is still safe. Only if
the intercepter also manages to gain access to the encrypted data block and
associate that with the corresponding DEK, then the data is compromised.
Given that each HDFS file has a different DEK, the intercepter has to gain
quite a bit of access before the data is compromised.

On 18 February 2015 at 00:04, Plamen Jeliazkov <
plamen.jeliazkov@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I had a question about how the new file encryption work done primarily in
> HDFS-6134.
>
> I was just curious, how is the DEK protected on the wire?
> Particularly after the KMS decrypts the EDEK and returns it to the client.
>
> Thanks,
> -Plamen
>

> 5 reasons your Hadoop needs WANdisco
> <http://www.wandisco.com/system/files/documentation/5-Reasons.pdf>
>
> Listed on the London Stock Exchange: WAND
> <http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/WAND:LN>
>
> THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
> PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
> subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or
> privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
> immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to
> anyone.  Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information
> it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views
> and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may
> not reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is
> authorized by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.
> All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and
> review by WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it
> does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses
> being passed.

Ranadip Chatterjee

Re: Encryption At Rest Question

Posted by Ranadip Chatterjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
In case of SSL enabled cluster, the DEK will be encrypted on the wire by
the SSL layer.

In case of non-SSL enabled cluster, it is not. But the intercepter only
gets the DEK and not the encrypted data, so the data is still safe. Only if
the intercepter also manages to gain access to the encrypted data block and
associate that with the corresponding DEK, then the data is compromised.
Given that each HDFS file has a different DEK, the intercepter has to gain
quite a bit of access before the data is compromised.

On 18 February 2015 at 00:04, Plamen Jeliazkov <
plamen.jeliazkov@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I had a question about how the new file encryption work done primarily in
> HDFS-6134.
>
> I was just curious, how is the DEK protected on the wire?
> Particularly after the KMS decrypts the EDEK and returns it to the client.
>
> Thanks,
> -Plamen
>

> 5 reasons your Hadoop needs WANdisco
> <http://www.wandisco.com/system/files/documentation/5-Reasons.pdf>
>
> Listed on the London Stock Exchange: WAND
> <http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/WAND:LN>
>
> THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
> PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
> subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or
> privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
> immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to
> anyone.  Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information
> it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views
> and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may
> not reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is
> authorized by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.
> All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and
> review by WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it
> does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses
> being passed.

Ranadip Chatterjee

Re: Encryption At Rest Question

Posted by Ranadip Chatterjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
In case of SSL enabled cluster, the DEK will be encrypted on the wire by
the SSL layer.

In case of non-SSL enabled cluster, it is not. But the intercepter only
gets the DEK and not the encrypted data, so the data is still safe. Only if
the intercepter also manages to gain access to the encrypted data block and
associate that with the corresponding DEK, then the data is compromised.
Given that each HDFS file has a different DEK, the intercepter has to gain
quite a bit of access before the data is compromised.

On 18 February 2015 at 00:04, Plamen Jeliazkov <
plamen.jeliazkov@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I had a question about how the new file encryption work done primarily in
> HDFS-6134.
>
> I was just curious, how is the DEK protected on the wire?
> Particularly after the KMS decrypts the EDEK and returns it to the client.
>
> Thanks,
> -Plamen
>

> 5 reasons your Hadoop needs WANdisco
> <http://www.wandisco.com/system/files/documentation/5-Reasons.pdf>
>
> Listed on the London Stock Exchange: WAND
> <http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/WAND:LN>
>
> THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
> PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
> subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or
> privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
> immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to
> anyone.  Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information
> it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views
> and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may
> not reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is
> authorized by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.
> All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and
> review by WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it
> does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses
> being passed.

Ranadip Chatterjee