Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by angela vulpio <ki...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/30 23:37:21 UTC

does amavis invoke spamassassin?

Hi,
I installed my mail server using ISPConfig3 on Ubntu9.10 Server...
I'm interested in using the two-level spam treatment configuring SPAM tag
level,SPAM tag2 level and SPAM kill level...

The server works perfectly but the mail that it receives don't show the
effects of the spamassassin's intervention such as the X-Spam Level header,
etc.
So I'm not sure that the antispam check works really fine....
In the log file I can't find any messages about spamassassin...
Generally I created the same thing using postfix+procmail+spamassassin and
it worked well but in that case spamassassin is invoked as command line
executable..

How can I make me sure that every check is executed ?
Thanks..

Re: does amavis invoke spamassassin?

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Angela,

> I installed my mail server using ISPConfig3 on Ubntu9.10 Server...
> I'm interested in using the two-level spam treatment configuring SPAM tag
> level,SPAM tag2 level and SPAM kill level...
>
> The server works perfectly but the mail that it receives don't show the
> effects of the spamassassin's intervention such as the X-Spam Level header,
> etc.

The usual reason for X-Spam-* header fields not being inserted by amavisd
is that a recipient does not match your @local_domains_maps setting.
Amavisd does not add X-Spam-* header fields to outbound mail.

> So I'm not sure that the antispam check works really fine....
> In the log file I can't find any messages about spamassassin...

Increase the $log_level to make sure.

> How can I make me sure that every check is executed ?

Unless you disabled the use of spam checking (@bypass_spam_checks_maps),
the spam checks are executed by amavisd regardless of mail direction
(as recognized through local domains and @mynetworks settings), so
the kill level and quarantining work regardless of mail direction.
It is only the insertion of X-Spam-* header fields (and adding of
address extensions, when enabled) that is restricted to inbound
and internal-to-internal mail only. Kill level and quarantining
work regardless of mail direction.

  Mark

Re: does amavis invoke spamassassin?

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 23:37 +0100, angela vulpio wrote:
> I'm interested in using the two-level spam treatment configuring SPAM
> tag level,SPAM tag2 level and SPAM kill level...

Sounds like amavisd-new to me. Yes, amavis does invoke SA on its own
using the API, and does not need spamd (the vanilla SA daemon).

> The server works perfectly but the mail that it receives don't show
> the effects of the spamassassin's intervention such as the X-Spam
> Level header, etc.

Yup, it doesn't use the vanilla SA headers, but adds its own. Well, if
you configured it to. Not an amavis user myself.

> So I'm not sure that the antispam check works really fine....
> In the log file I can't find any messages about spamassassin...

And you won't find any if you'd use spamd either. Those would be marked
spamd, not spamassassin...

> Generally I created the same thing using postfix+procmail+spamassassin
> and it worked well but in that case spamassassin is invoked as command
> line executable..

In *that* case, I strongly suggest using the lightweight spamc and the
spamd daemon, instead of plain spamasassin (which comes with a rather
severe invocation penalty per message).

> How can I make me sure that every check is executed ?

I guess you want to ask the amavis folks. :)