Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by susan atmaja <su...@hotmail.com> on 2002/05/14 07:36:43 UTC

Question on Licensing

Hi,

I have a question regarding licensing, with regard to Adobe.

As I understand, PDF format is owned by Adobe and I'm wondering whether
there's any license or legal issues in generating a PDF file.
What we do with FOP is formatting data into PDF format.
Is there any license issue here? Do we need to get a consent from Adobe, or
something like that?

How about for bussiness bodies? For example, if  a company were to generate
a PDF file using FOP and host the file in its website?
Is there any legal issue for the rendering of data into PDF format?

Please advise.
Thanks.

Re: Question on Licensing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
I'm not a legal expert, but I think there is no special licence that has
to be respected. There are some patents by Adobe, though. But that
doesn't seem to be a problem. Here's the only relevant page I found
concerning the use of PDF.
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/legalnotices.html

A lot of open source products would have problems, if there were licence
problems.

> I have a question regarding licensing, with regard to Adobe.
>
> As I understand, PDF format is owned by Adobe and I'm wondering whether
> there's any license or legal issues in generating a PDF file.
> What we do with FOP is formatting data into PDF format.
> Is there any license issue here? Do we need to get a consent from Adobe, or
> something like that?
>
> How about for bussiness bodies? For example, if  a company were to generate
> a PDF file using FOP and host the file in its website?
> Is there any legal issue for the rendering of data into PDF format?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch