Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/11 02:19:36 UTC

[NOTICE] Meeting with Accelerite Leadership

Dear CloudStackers,

Last week, Johh Kinsella and myself were suppose to meet with Accelerite
leadership team. Unfortunately John could not make it - so i was alone.

We discussed ways we can improve community collaboration and leverage
Accelerite"s resources to align and drive larger community agenda including
extendes roadmap.

Many topics have been mentioned, below is the summary of our discussion. I
will list things in the order i see being important.

-------
1) Proposal was made to have a quarterly call (or more often as needed)
with all interested parties to discuss:
        Upcoming Features you are working on developing (to avoid collision
and
maintain the roadmap)
        Blockers that are impacting release and adoption
        Other topics

        The length of the call would be 90 minutes. Each party will get a
fair
amount of time. The agenda will be collated and presented prior to the
call with a link to FS on Confluence and time allotted for each topic.

Minutes will be taken and posted on dev list. If there are issues and or
suggestions, we will note it down in few sentences, identify interested
parties and have them do a "post" discussion on the mailing list.

The proposed date and time  - Thursday August 17th 9AM PT

----------
2) Accelerite is considering funding a position for a person who will be
working within community - as community manager. Help organize and
facilitate discussions, make sure Confluence and JIRA are up to date,
help new users with answering basic questions or finding right
individual to assist with solution. While funded by Accelerite - it must
be clear that the person is working with/for Apache CloudStack project.

3) Marketing was mentioned, i suggested we do more press releases - and
possibly make use of interns

4) OpenStack VS CloudStack (unbiased technology comparison), there is a
common question - we need to come up something that can help justify
Apache CloudStack to clients leadership

5) Cinder integration with Cloudstack was mentioned - but no solid plans
yet.

6) Creating Appliances of CloudStack - that are ready to be consumed and
user can spin nested VMs to try CloudStack effortlessly

7) CoudStack Template Repository (plugin)- there is a code written for it by
Citrix and resides on ASF git - but for some reason it was dropped or
never completed. If we can give user a rich marketplace of appliances to
consume - we will certainly get a good edge. This can improve the adoption.

8) MeetUps - we need to re-kickstart this initiative within SF Bay Area
and stream it to other locations/meetups.

9) Demo environment of CloudStack.  David mentioned Citrix donated gear
is in one of ASF locations - but sitting idle. I proposed we make use of
it and let new CloudStack explorers try it out - without the hassle of
deploying it.

10) If we can get CloudStack into EPEL fedora and ubuntu upstream
repositories - it will help with adoption as well.

Please let me know if you would be interested in item #1, which is
quarterly meeting. The proposed time is 9am PST, August 17th.

I will help setting up the first few initial calls and be a moderator.

Looking forward to your comments

Regards
ilya

RE: [NOTICE] Meeting with Accelerite Leadership

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 11 juli 2017 om 15:06 schreef Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>:
>

> Ilya, all
> Good initiative    - thanks to you & John for taking the lead on it and thanks to the  Accelrite folks for some of the offers that theyr'e making here

Indeed! Sounds very good.

> Only a couple questions from me: the concept of the proposed call sounds like a general effort/alignment thing - almost like a project scrum  - am I correct ? I think this is a really good idea (you may want to ping Wido because he was trying to arrange something similar a while ago)

Yes, I did. Still seems like a good idea and this will probably broaden the support for it.