Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2004/08/01 15:20:03 UTC

Re: [proposal - take 2] Whiteboard Branches

Ugo Cei wrote:

> Il giorno 31/lug/04, alle 03:29, Stefano Mazzocchi ha scritto:
>
>> Same thing as the previous proposal but with the "whiteboard" name,
>> "playground" kinda sucks and "research" would scare people way
>> because it feels too serious.
>

> "Whiteboard" sounds fine. We already have a "scratchpad" in the trunk,
> however. What would be the difference between scratchpad and whiteboard?

In order to summarize:

 - whiteboard
   The whiteboard can contain revelutionary stuff like Butterfly or other
   one-man-shows. They needn't be based on the current codebase - they
   only have to have some relationship to Cocoon.
   Evolving from whiteboard needs a vote.

 - branches
   Branches are based either on previous minor releases (e.g. 2.1.x)
   or they are future, evolutionary developments based on the codebase
   that is available at the time of branching. Branches are supported
   by the community and fixes go into all branches that activly developed.

 - scratchpad (block)
   Small contributions that don't require a new branch and you want
   to indicate that this is not supported by the community at the
   time of committing it. Examples are new components.
   They still need a vote to be moved into a stable block or into
   Cocoon core.

WDOT?

--
Reinhard

Re: [proposal - take 2] Whiteboard Branches

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> In order to summarize:
>
> - whiteboard
>   The whiteboard can contain revelutionary stuff like Butterfly or other
>   one-man-shows. They needn't be based on the current codebase - they
>   only have to have some relationship to Cocoon.
>   Evolving from whiteboard needs a vote.
>
> - branches
>   Branches are based either on previous minor releases (e.g. 2.1.x)
>   or they are future, evolutionary developments based on the codebase
>   that is available at the time of branching. Branches are supported
>   by the community and fixes go into all branches that activly developed.
>
> - scratchpad (block)
>   Small contributions that don't require a new branch and you want
>   to indicate that this is not supported by the community at the
>   time of committing it. Examples are new components.
>   They still need a vote to be moved into a stable block or into
>   Cocoon core.

Sounds good, with the addition that scratchpad is a kind of incubator
for unstable features that will go into the core rather than in their
own block (either because of their small size or because of their
core-related nature).

Sylvain

Re: [proposal - take 2] Whiteboard Branches

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 01.08.2004 15:20, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> In order to summarize:
>
> - whiteboard
>
> - branches
>
> - scratchpad (block)
>
> WDOT?

+1

Re: [proposal - take 2] Whiteboard Branches

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 1 Aug 2004, at 14:20, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> In order to summarize:
>
> - whiteboard
>   The whiteboard can contain revelutionary stuff like Butterfly or
> other
>   one-man-shows. They needn't be based on the current codebase - they
>   only have to have some relationship to Cocoon.
>   Evolving from whiteboard needs a vote.

+1
expanding: one man shows, proposals, stuff not tied to cocoon directly
but we might want to track down their development anyhow, anything
which is not cocoon-prime and that doesn't fit in a block, for which
the scratchpad block is used...

> - branches
>   Branches are based either on previous minor releases (e.g. 2.1.x)
>   or they are future, evolutionary developments based on the codebase
>   that is available at the time of branching. Branches are supported
>   by the community and fixes go into all branches that activly
> developed.

+1

> - scratchpad (block)
>   Small contributions that don't require a new branch and you want
>   to indicate that this is not supported by the community at the
>   time of committing it. Examples are new components.
>   They still need a vote to be moved into a stable block or into
>   Cocoon core.

+1
well said that we need a vote to move somehting out of scratchpad into
a stable block, as from an unstable to a stable one.

Does this make +3 overall from me? :-P

	Pier

Re: [proposal - take 2] Whiteboard Branches

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 01/ago/04, alle 15:20, Reinhard Poetz ha scritto:

> In order to summarize:
>
> - whiteboard
>   The whiteboard can contain revelutionary stuff like Butterfly or
> other
>   one-man-shows. They needn't be based on the current codebase - they
>   only have to have some relationship to Cocoon.
>   Evolving from whiteboard needs a vote.
>
> - branches
>   Branches are based either on previous minor releases (e.g. 2.1.x)
>   or they are future, evolutionary developments based on the codebase
>   that is available at the time of branching. Branches are supported
>   by the community and fixes go into all branches that activly
> developed.
>
> - scratchpad (block)
>   Small contributions that don't require a new branch and you want
>   to indicate that this is not supported by the community at the
>   time of committing it. Examples are new components.
>   They still need a vote to be moved into a stable block or into
>   Cocoon core.

+1

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: [proposal - take 2] Whiteboard Branches

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Reinhard Poetz dijo:
> Ugo Cei wrote:
>
>> Il giorno 31/lug/04, alle 03:29, Stefano Mazzocchi ha scritto:
>>
>>> Same thing as the previous proposal but with the "whiteboard" name,
>>> "playground" kinda sucks and "research" would scare people way
>>> because it feels too serious.
>>

>> "Whiteboard" sounds fine. We already have a "scratchpad" in the trunk,
>> however. What would be the difference between scratchpad and whiteboard?
>

> In order to summarize:
>
>  - whiteboard
>    The whiteboard can contain revelutionary stuff like Butterfly or other
>    one-man-shows. They needn't be based on the current codebase - they
>    only have to have some relationship to Cocoon.
>    Evolving from whiteboard needs a vote.
>
>  - branches
>    Branches are based either on previous minor releases (e.g. 2.1.x)
>    or they are future, evolutionary developments based on the codebase
>    that is available at the time of branching. Branches are supported
>    by the community and fixes go into all branches that activly developed.
>
>  - scratchpad (block)
>    Small contributions that don't require a new branch and you want
>    to indicate that this is not supported by the community at the
>    time of committing it. Examples are new components.
>    They still need a vote to be moved into a stable block or into
>    Cocoon core.
>

> WDOT?

+1

Best Regards,