Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Parmar, Deepak" <de...@mediaone.net> on 2001/11/06 16:19:32 UTC

Design Question (Applet or HTML/Servlet)

Hi Guys,

We are converting over Windows base application into Web base
application.
User interface is similar to windows explorer.

Here is some info:
1. In left side we display tree and right side we display data of
whatever
node is selected in tree.
2. Tree is not STATIC means many user add/delete nodes in tree.
3. Tree may have more than 1000 nodes in it.
4. get children from database whenever user expand any node.

Two ways to implement
1. Using applet.  Applet communicates to servlet to display tree.
2. Use servlet/jsp to display tree in HTML  (using table tag).

What is the best way to mimic this tree functionality in web base
application considering we have more than 1000 nodes in tree? How about
the
performance in above two cases?

Thanks
Deepak

Re: Design Question (Applet or HTML/Servlet)

Posted by Denis Balazuc <de...@trader.com>.
Hi Deepak

Going for an applet will raise security issues and browser-dependent
annoyances if your application is deployed on client machines which you do
not really have control on. Moreover, your client needs to have the proper
JVM installed, preferrably with Java pluggin, etc.
Now, having said that, if you can afford relaxing the client's browser
security, or if you're willing to deal with certificates and such, an applet
may help more than HTML in terms of development/stability/usability/etc.
An applet  will also allow you to distribute it as a standalone java
application (using java web start for updates for example...) with nearly
no-code change.

However, you may want an HTML based view, using Javascript to display your
menus
Have a look at http://www.treemenu.com/ it's great for javascript-based tree
views.
Interaction with tree nodes may not be easy to do though...

Performances really will depend on how you manage your nodes...and how fast
you can access your database.
The applet version might actually be faster for displaying trees as you're
not actually using a browser for rendering, and you have fewer layers
between the back-end and your UI.

Since the choice between the two probably depends on how you want to deploy
your application....rather than performances.

That's my 2 cents hint of the day.
Hope this helps

Posted by IService <he...@iservice.bg>.
I am using Servlet to solve the same issue.

Please see the attached files.

Dimiter

Re: Design Question (Applet or HTML/Servlet)

Posted by Barry White <ba...@charter.net>.
Deepak,

This sounds like a good time to redesign your user interface.  Perhaps there
is a better way to represent the data to the user than a 1000 node tree?

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.
Hi,

I think you better take option 2.
This has 2 reasons:
- Preformance of database access from the browser to whatever datasource
isn't too quick. Depending on the user you may also have to use javascript
to check wheather the applet has initialized (at least, I use an applet
which has size 0 and only retrieves data and generates html on the client
side). In short : I get a lot of complaints about that thing ;))
- You are not limited to what the client browser jvm is capable of

Hope this helps ;)

Mvgr,
Martin