Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/11 09:14:18 UTC

3.0M3 dependency to commons lang

Andrus,

can you please upgrade version in the cayenne 3.0M3 pom of the commons.lang
library to 2.4. Cayenne depends on 2.1 version of this library.

Thanks,
Borut

Re: 3.0M3 dependency to commons lang

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/11 Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>:

> Hi Borut,
>
> I wish we didn't have any dependencies at all :-) Especially now in the
> days of Maven.

LOL

Anyway, maven with controlled company repo does miracles here at our
company.

Cheers,

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Sometimes to get some rest from the daily routine, it helps to do a
dumb task that requires no thinking or creativity... so this is what I
just did... I took the Ashwood 1.1 code and created a new SVN project
on ObjectStyle.org out of it:

https://svn.objectstyle.org/repos/ashwood2/trunk/ashwood/

Then I removed commons-lang references and submitted a new build to
ibiblio. Once it gets posted, we can remove a few remaining commons-
lang references from Cayenne and get rid of that dependency.

Andrus

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Apr 14, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> I've already tested 3.1.5 extensively and it works great with Cayenne.

Just put it on ObjectStyle. As I uploaded the jars and created the POM
by hand, let me know if you have any trouble with it:

http://objectstyle.org/maven2/com/caucho/hessian/3.1.5/

Thanks
Andrus

Re: 3.0M3 dependency to commons lang

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
> Looks like the new Velocity 1.5 also depends on commons-lang. Doh!
The most of java open source projects depend on commons-lang :).

> http://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/velocity-1.5/dependencies.html
>
> Wonder if there is an easy way to strip the template processing code and
> standard macros from everything else and include it in Cayenne. Then
> Cayenne classic will be fully self contained.
IMHO that would be too much work.

However, using IntelliJ's refactorings and code inspections, it would be pretty simple
to remove Velocity's commons-lang dependency.

Since Cayenne is an Apache project, I suppose you have commit rights too, so this remove could
be done pretty quickly in a branch.

AFAIK the next version of Velocity should also increase it's JDK requirement so even more
dependencies could be removed this way.

Ahmed.

Re: 3.0M3 dependency to commons lang

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

On Apr 15, 2008, at 1:49 AM, Malcolm Edgar wrote:

> Oh, I didn't know that.
>
> regards Malcolm Edgar
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org
> >
> wrote:
>
>> I am all for it, but isn't Velocity dependent on commons-collections?
>> (Velocity would be the last one standing, with SQLTemplate
>> depending on it,
>> I don't see how we can get rid of it).
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Apr 15, 2008, at 1:41 AM, Malcolm Edgar wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> On a related issue is there an intention to break the dependency on
>>> commons-collections.  This is the JAR we have most issue with on
>>> application
>>> servers.  Its something we can deal with by patching the app servers

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I didn't know that.

regards Malcolm Edgar

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.
I am also dead keen on upgrading the Hessian dependency to avoid some
bugs and improve performance, but we are stuck there since Maven
repositories are way behind with Hessian builds and the Caucho Hessian
people can't get them upgraded without a lot of work (all sorts of
voodoo with rsync is needed). I've already tested 3.1.5 extensively
and it works great with Cayenne. [1]

Is it worth us putting *all* the dependencies into a repository
somewhere (Objectstyle or Apache?) or directly into svn so that we
don't get stung again by library versions we depend on being removed
from maven repositories or not being updated when we want them?

Ari

[1] http://hessian.caucho.com/#Java

> Hi Borut,
>
> I wish we didn't have any dependencies at all :-) Especially now in
> the days of Maven. Lagging with deps upgrade affects one group of
> users, upgrading too eagerly affects another...
>
> Anyways, I am +1 in general. I'll let it sit here for a couple of
> days, and if nobody tells us why such upgrade is a horrible idea,
> I'll go ahead with it.
>
> Andrus
>

> On Apr 11, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Borut Bolčina wrote:
>> Andrus,
>>
>> can you please upgrade version in the cayenne 3.0M3 pom of the
>> commons.lang
>> library to 2.4. Cayenne depends on 2.1 version of this library.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Borut

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001

Re: 3.0M3 dependency to commons lang

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Borut,