Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Glass, David" <Da...@converg.com> on 2000/08/18 18:12:42 UTC

subscribe, question

Hello...

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question.  I am new to Xalan, and have
been using it to dynamically generate a servlet response from an XML input
stream from another servlet.  The thing is, I am generating JavaScript
functions that will in turn generate HTML when the page is loaded.  It
appears that whenever Xalan sees two adjacent HTML tags (e.g. "<TR><TD>") in
an XSL sheet, it inserts a newline between them.  That would be fine if I
were merely generating HTML, but when it splits a JavaScript string
containing tags, it breaks the JavaScript.  As a workaround I have quoted
all tags individually, but this seems rather clumsy, especially when there
are many tags (e.g. building a table with formatting and hyperlinks).  I
haven't examined the Xalan documentation in detail, but I was wondering if
there is a way to turn off the newline feature.

Thanks!

-dg