Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2003/12/28 04:51:48 UTC

Re: svn commit: r8109 - in trunk: . build/generator

brane@tigris.org wrote:

>Author: brane
>Date: Sat Dec 27 22:37:18 2003
>New Revision: 8109
>
>Modified:
>   trunk/   (props changed)
>   trunk/INSTALL
>   trunk/build.conf
>   trunk/build/generator/build_neon.ezt
>   trunk/build/generator/gen_base.py
>   trunk/build/generator/gen_vcnet_vcproj.py
>   trunk/build/generator/gen_win.py
>   trunk/gen-make.py
>   trunk/win-tests.py
>Log:
>Start using the APR DLLs instead of linking with static libs on Windows.
>This change combines two patches from Russell Yanofsky <re...@columbia.edu>
>(see below) with the following changes:

This commit closes issuw 1624, but the Windows installer has to adapt to
these changes.  We must now install the APR DLLs, *unless* there's an
apache2 with compatible (or newer) APR DLLs on the system and the user
decides to use those instead of Subversion's copy.

Re: svn commit: r8109 - in trunk: . build/generator

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
D.J. Heap wrote:

> Branko Čibej wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> Oh yes, and whoever is maintaining the VS.NET build should update the
>> apr*.vcproj.in files, too.
>>

> I will try to get to that tonight.
>
> A related question -- mod_dav_svn requires building with the same
> version of the C runtime as Apache2 due to pool
> allocations/deallocations (and perhaps other reasons), doesn't it?

No, because all memory management happens within the APR DLL, which is
the same for both httpd and mod_dav_svn.

> So if I have a VC6 built Apache2, I need to make sure I build
> mod_dav_svn with VC6 (not VSNet since it links to a new C runtime)?

Nope. No worries. :-)

Re: svn commit: r8109 - in trunk: . build/generator

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
[snip]

> Oh yes, and whoever is maintaining the VS.NET build should update the
> apr*.vcproj.in files, too.

I will try to get to that tonight.

A related question -- mod_dav_svn requires building with the same
version of the C runtime as Apache2 due to pool
allocations/deallocations (and perhaps other reasons), doesn't it?  So
if I have a VC6 built Apache2, I need to make sure I build mod_dav_svn
with VC6 (not VSNet since it links to a new C runtime)?

DJ

Re: svn commit: r8109 - in trunk: . build/generator

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
D.J. Heap wrote:

> Branko Čibej wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> Oh yes, and whoever is maintaining the VS.NET build should update the
>> apr*.vcproj.in files, too.
>>

> Just so I understand and make sure to test correctly, there is not a
> static build option on Windows, correct?  So we only need to add the
> libapr*.vcproj.in files and no longer need the apr*.vcproj.in ones.

That's correct.

> Also, if someone is using the APR projects from an Apache source
> install, then the APR projects no longer need to be copied to the
> Subversion directory, correct?

Yes.

> If this is true then I think the '#include
> "../../apr/include/apr_general.h"' in build/win32/svn.rc needs adjusting

Ouch, you're right.

> and perhaps the project templates updated to set additional include
> paths for the rc file.

No, the RC file has to use correct absolute or relative paths -- which
means it has to be generated from a template.

>   It appears to me that even the generated dsp projects do not work in
> this scenario (if it is supposed to work)

Funny thing is, I tested the build without APR in the tree, and got no
errors. Weird.

Re: svn commit: r8109 - in trunk: . build/generator

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
[snip]

> Oh yes, and whoever is maintaining the VS.NET build should update the
> apr*.vcproj.in files, too.

Just so I understand and make sure to test correctly, there is not a
static build option on Windows, correct?  So we only need to add the
libapr*.vcproj.in files and no longer need the apr*.vcproj.in ones.

Also, if someone is using the APR projects from an Apache source
install, then the APR projects no longer need to be copied to the
Subversion directory, correct?  If this is true then I think the
'#include "../../apr/include/apr_general.h"' in build/win32/svn.rc needs
adjusting and perhaps the project templates updated to set additional
include paths for the rc file.  It appears to me that even the generated

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Sunday 28 December 2003 05.51, Branko Čibej wrote:
> >Log:
> >Start using the APR DLLs instead of linking with static libs on
> > Windows. This change combines two patches from Russell Yanofsky
> > <re...@columbia.edu> (see below) with the following changes:

Cool. Any chance of making zip files that I can download and play
with? :-)

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||