Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Mike Buglioli <mb...@bcbsga.com> on 2000/12/14 20:55:16 UTC

SSL / Apache / .vtml

Folks,

I got this message from a vendor as to why they couldn't do SSL on their
site...or that they couldn't, what does Apache say ?

IDI Solutions Newsroom Manager and Grassroots Manager utilize not just
the standard Apache web server, but create custom HTML pages for each
user through the use of the modperl module of Apache with custom built
scripts to parse an Oracle database.

You will notice that the site has pages with the .vtml extension. Our
application interacts with Apache to parse these pages through the
database to create valid HTML code.

Utilizing SSL with Apache is indeed a very simple modification to Apache

when there is not database parsing happening in the same process.

IDI has attempted to have SSL and our custom scripts to operate
simultaneously and after several attempts we realized that it was a much

larger undertaking.

thx,

mlb

Re: SSL / Apache / .vtml

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

MB> Utilizing SSL with Apache is indeed a very simple modification to Apache

true.

MB> when there is not database parsing happening in the same process.

no need for this qualifier.  SSL and mod_perl are orthogonal
technologies; the only interaction is that both require more CPU than
static non-ssl pages do.

basically, they're either 1) lazy, 2) incompetent, 3) ignorant, or 4)
all of the above.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/