Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by marc & lan <ma...@free.fr> on 2005/01/31 20:25:21 UTC

[Jexl & BeanUtils] Why not extend Jexl or beanutils to match same map syntax ?

Hi.
This message is for jexl and beanutils folks.
I'm using both of them, as many people I presume.
Both of them share _almost_ the same syntax but for mapped access.
Jexl uses square brackets as "bean.map[key]" and beanUtils uses parentheses
"bean.map(key)"
To my opinion it could be a good idea to extends jexl to uses also beanutils
parentheses syntax.

What are you thinking about this ?

Marc DeXeT

RE: [Jexl & BeanUtils] Why not extend Jexl or beanutils to match same map syntax ?

Posted by Hans Gilde <hg...@earthlink.net>.
Although... it would be fairly easy to adapt a new scripting language into
Jelly. The fairly-simple task of implementing a pluggable language interface
has been on the table for a while. I think that Morph would be an
interesting candidate for a second language.

Posted by marc & lan <ma...@free.fr>.

Posted by Matt Sgarlata <sg...@users.sourceforge.net>.
<shameless-plug>

The Morph framework (morph.sourceforge.net) supports either syntax
out-of-the box.  Morph had its first beta release yesterday.

For a comparison of Morph to JEXL, see
http://morph.sourceforge.net/alternatives/jexl.html

For a comparison of Morph to BeanUtils, see
http://morph.sourceforge.net/alternatives/beanutils.html

</shameless-plug>

Matt

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Seems reasonable. AFAIK, the JSP spec has changed to allow [] or () as
well, right?

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.