Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by tony ennis <to...@insightbb.com> on 2009/09/02 22:50:49 UTC

Can't seem to get a portlet working

I installed jetspeed and got the main portal demo page working.

Then I created a portlet using 'mvn archetype:generate', made a .war out of
it with 'mvn package', then copied it to
<jetspeed-2.2.0>/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy.  According to the logs,
the war file was consumed by jetspeed, compiled, and loaded.

When I refresh the portlet demos page, nothing changes.  It is as if I
didn't deploy anything.  Did I miss a step?

localhost.log:
Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: starting initialization of Portlet
Application at: mps5-1.0
Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet application at:
mps5-1.0. Starting back ground thread to start when the portal comes online.
Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: initialization done for Portlet Application
at: mps5-1.0
Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: attemping to start Portlet Application at:
/mps5-1.0
Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: started Portlet Application at: /mps5-1.0

catalina.log:
Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive mps5-1.0.war

I have no idea what to try next. Any ideas?

Re: Can't seem to get a portlet working

Posted by Christine <ch...@christine.nl>.
tony ennis wrote:
> I installed jetspeed and got the main portal demo page working.
>
> Then I created a portlet using 'mvn archetype:generate', made a .war out of
> it with 'mvn package', then copied it to
> <jetspeed-2.2.0>/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy.  According to the logs,
> the war file was consumed by jetspeed, compiled, and loaded.
>
> When I refresh the portlet demos page, nothing changes.  It is as if I
> didn't deploy anything.  Did I miss a step?

I missed the same step when I deployed a portlet to Jetspeed. It seems
that in Jetspeed you do need a portlet application, or that's what the
"Hepper portlets" book says, you can't seem to deploy a portlet
directly. But others here know much more about the subject than I do.

Chistine

--
dagdag is just a two-character rotation of byebye.

Re: Can't seem to get a portlet working

Posted by Jeff Pierce <ha...@gmail.com>.
The problem I have had with the mvn generated portlet was with the
portlet.xml file being incorrect.  The portlet class that was generated did
not reference the actual class that was generated.  You will need to update
the portlet.xml file to reference the generated class.

This is what I did and the portlet deployed correctly in Jetspeed 2.2.
mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-portlet
-DgroupId=com.jeff.portlet -DartifactId=jeff-pa

Updated the portlet-class in the portlet.xml file
<portlet-class>com.jeff.portlet.MyPortlet</portlet-class>

Built the portlet from the root of my generated app: mvn install

Started Jetspeed.

Copied the generated jeff-pa-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war from the target folder to the
jetspeed deploy folder.  In my case when using the default installation it
is "C:\Apache\Jetspeed-2.2.0\webapps\jetspeed\WEB-INF\deploy".

Jetspeed displayed:
INFO: Deploying web application archive jeff-pa-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war
JetspeedContainerServlet: starting initialization of Portlet Application at:
jeff-pa-1.0-SNAPSHOT
JetspeedContainerServlet: initialization done for Portlet Application at:
jeff-pa-1.0-SNAPSHOT

I then logged into Jetspeed and added the portlet to a page using the
standard Jetspeed UI.

I hope this helps.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM, tony ennis <to...@insightbb.com> wrote:

> I installed jetspeed and got the main portal demo page working.
>
> Then I created a portlet using 'mvn archetype:generate', made a .war out of
> it with 'mvn package', then copied it to
> <jetspeed-2.2.0>/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy.  According to the logs,
> the war file was consumed by jetspeed, compiled, and loaded.
>
> When I refresh the portlet demos page, nothing changes.  It is as if I
> didn't deploy anything.  Did I miss a step?
>
> localhost.log:
> Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: starting initialization of Portlet
> Application at: mps5-1.0
> Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: Could not yet start portlet application at:
> mps5-1.0. Starting back ground thread to start when the portal comes
> online.
> Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: initialization done for Portlet Application
> at: mps5-1.0
> Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: attemping to start Portlet Application at:
> /mps5-1.0
> Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: JetspeedContainerServlet: started Portlet Application at: /mps5-1.0
>
> catalina.log:
> Sep 2, 2009 4:29:29 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
> INFO: Deploying web application archive mps5-1.0.war
>
> I have no idea what to try next. Any ideas?

Jeff Pierce

Re: Can't seem to get a portlet working

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.
This may be a stupidly simple question, but it's often the obvious that
eludes us.

Did you add an instance of the portlet to the target page (in your case
the demos page) ?

Posted by Jeff Pierce <ha...@gmail.com>.
To add a portlet using the UI:

1. Log into the portal (default userid admin/admin).  Reassign a new
password if requested to do so.
2. Click the Edit icon  (pencil icon) in upper right corner of portal page
3. Click the Add Portlet icon (plus sign) in upper right.  You can also add
a new page if you want before adding a portlet from this location.
3. Scroll through the list of portlets until you find yours.  You can also
search on it.
4. Click Add below your portlet.  You should see the count increment.
5. Click the "go back" link or the green arrow near top of portlet.  You
should see your portlet appear on the page.
6. Click the View icon (eyeball) near top right of page. This should exit
you out of the edit mode and back to normal portal mode.
7. You should see your portlet on your page.

As I said, you can add a new page to the portal from Edit mode.  You can
then add your own portlets to it as well.

Of course, the manual .psml edit works as well!

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM, tony ennis <to...@insightbb.com>wrote:

> Thanks all for the help.
>
> I did in fact stumble upon the error in the portlet.xml file this morning.
>
> In addition, I was not adding the portlet to the demo page. I was wondering
> how that was supposed to get on there ;-)
>
> I didn't find the UI for doing it, so I added it to the default-page.psml
> file by hand. Of course it was easy enough given the portlet is trivial.

Jeff Pierce

Re: Can't seem to get a portlet working