Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2003/11/15 01:26:22 UTC

Mergin two cvs trees

Dirk,

Well, I've recovered the sandbox cvs tree up to where I deleted
everything in the sandbox, this is now under jakarta-commons/math and
looks ok to me. I have the following backups:

jakarta-commons-sandbox-math-original.tar
Original sandbox math tree with deletions prior to 11/1/03

jakarta-commons-math-original.tar
Original commons math tree with changes made from 11/1/03 to present.

jakarta-commons-sandbox-math-new.tar
Original sandbox math tree + recovered additions.

The current CVS structure looks like:
/jakarta-commons-sandbox/math --> changes made up to 11/1/03 + recovered
additions.

/jakarta-commons/math --> changes made from 11/1/03 to 11/13/03.

My major problem now seems to be that the commit emails all have padding
embedded in them that the mailer/log seems to insert, So I'm having a
real difficulty processing them and re-applying them.

I'm wondering if its just easier to merge the two cvs trees, but this is
something I've never attempted before, I could really use  any
information on how to best attempt this.

thanks,
-Mark

Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
> First we should inform all math committers of course.
>
> I will take a closer look tomorrow evening but we should undelete the
> files in the sandbox, backup the proper version, do the move like you
> described and then either redo all changes (including commit log) or do
> a simple merge.
> If there are only a few of them then we can use the commit mails.
> The bulk changes, renaming and stuff can be done by merging the backuped
> fileset into the new fileset.
>
> -- Dirk
>
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> this would be wise, before things get too different. What would be the
>> best approach to tackle this?
>>
>> -Mark
>>
>> Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
>>
>>> It's only 12 days ago that the move was done.
>>> We could redo the move and then reapply all changes since the move.
>>>
>>> It is a little extra work but if the historical information is
>>> important it is probably worth the effort.
>>>
>>> -- Dirk

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu

RE: [math] Current CVS status

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Please test and verify that you can checkout and build the new cvs tree

I can now.  I could not last night, so something is definitely fixed.  Good
work.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: [math] Current CVS status

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Dirk has completed the commit process to bring the cvs uptodate with
where the original /home/cvs/jakarta-commons/math cvs tree was at. He
should be applauded for this great effort on his part to assist us in
maintaining all the historical information in the tree. :-)

Please test and verify that you can checkout and build the new cvs tree
properly and contact the list if you have any issues, please also verify
that any patches you provided are still accurately reflected in the
current head of the tree.

Thanks Dirk! :-)
-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

[math] Current CVS status

[math] Merging two cvs trees

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Sorry I meant this to go to the math group

-Mark