Posted to dev@mnemonic.apache.org by Yanhui Zhao <yz...@apache.org> on 2022/12/16 05:47:00 UTC

MNEMONIC project report (12/15)

Hi Mnemonic folks

Please see the project report below. Thanks and happy holidays!

Apache Mnemonic is an open-source Java library for durable object-oriented
programming on hybrid storage-class memory(e.g. NVM) space. It comes up with
durable object model (DOM) and durable computing model(DCM) and takes full
advantages of storage-class memory to simplify the code complexity, avoid
SerDe/(Un)Marshal, mitigate caching for constructing next generation
computing
platforms. Mnemonic makes the storing and transmitting of massive linked
objects graphs simpler and more efficient. The performance tuning could also
be mostly converged to a single point of tuning place if based on Mnemonic
process and analyze linked objects. The programmer is able to focus on the
durable object oriented business logic instead of worrying about how to
normalize/join, SerDe(un)marshal, cache and store their linked business
objects with arbitrary complexity.

## Issues:
None during this report period

## Membership Data:
Apache Mnemonic was founded 2020-11-30 (2 years ago)
There are currently 21 committers and 14 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Chenyang Li on 2020-11-04.
- No new committers. Last addition was Chunyong on 2021-10-05.

## Project Activity:
We are still in the process of 0.18.0 release that enables the features
below
1. Support of a new memory service (memkind)
2. Durable object versioning design and implementation at memory services
   native level
3. Enabling rust lang dev env for native memory service development
4. Issue fixes for security vulnerabilities and dev dockers

Edward (Chengyang) Li is driving the release and preparing the release
materials

The community also discusses the possibility of exploring the use case of
storage virtualization, and will collect more information for our planning
for
the next year.

## Community Health:
We don't have much activities except for some bug fixes during this report
period, as we are in the process of 0.18 release. However, we do see the
community activities are trending down impacted by both the holiday season,
and economic downturn. The discussion over possible use case of storage
virtualization use case also draws some interests from some committers and
we
plan to have a preliminary design on this topic for the next release plan