Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ophir Michaeli <mi...@wesee.com> on 2013/06/18 10:37:18 UTC

Shard identification

Hi,

I built a 2 shards and 2 replicas system that works ok on a local machine, 1
zookeeper on shard 1.
It appears ok on the solar monitor page, cloud tab
(http://localhost:8983/solr/#/~cloud).
When I move to using different machines, each shard/replica on a different
machine I get a wrong cloud-graph on the Solr monitoring page.
The machine that has Shard 2 appears on the graph on shard 1, and the
replicas are also mixed, shard 2 appears as 1 and shard 1 appears as 2.

Any ideas why this happens?

Thanks,
Ophir

RE: Shard identification

Posted by Ophir Michaeli <mi...@wesee.com>.
Thanks for the response.
I use 4.3 and have this issue.

What version of Solr? I had something like this on 4.2.1. Upgraging to
4.3 sorted it.

Upayavira

Re: Shard identification

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: Shard identification

Posted by Daniel Collins <da...@gmail.com>.
When you say you move to different machines, did you copy the zoo_data from
your old setup, or did you just start up zookeeper and your shards one by
one?  Also did you use collection API to create the collection or just
start up your cores and let them attach to ZK.  I believe the ZK rules for
assigning shards has changed somewhere around 4.2.  We had a setup with 4.0
and it simply assigned them in order, shard 1, shard 2, shard 3, etc then
when all shards were filled, it started with replicas.

In 4.3 (we skipped the intermediates) the ordering wasn't obvious, I had to
do a bit of trial an error to determine the right order to start things in
order to get shard assignments correct, but that isn't really the
recommended way of doing it.

If you want specific assignments (cores to shards) then I think the core
API/collection API are the recommended way to go.  Create a collection
using the Collection API (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud) and then
copy the data to the right servers once it has assigned the shards (it
should make sure that replicas don't exist on the same machine, and things
like that).

I believe the general direction (of the next major Solr release) is to
start a system with a blank solr.xml and create cores/collections that way
rather than have a file and then have to connect to ZK and merge the data
with what's there.

We have a slightly odd requirement in that we need to determine the DataDir
for each core, and I haven't yet worked out the right sequence of commands
(Collection API doesn't support DataDir but CoreAPI does). It should be
possible though, just haven't found the time to get to it!

Re: Shard identification

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Shard identification

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Firstly, using 1 zookeeper machine is not at all ideal. See
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/FAQ#A7

I've never personally seen such an issue. Can you give screen shots of
the cloud graph on each node? Use an image hosting service because the
mailing list won't allow attachments.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Ophir Michaeli <mi...@wesee.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I built a 2 shards and 2 replicas system that works ok on a local machine, 1
> zookeeper on shard 1.
> It appears ok on the solar monitor page, cloud tab
> (http://localhost:8983/solr/#/~cloud).
> When I move to using different machines, each shard/replica on a different
> machine I get a wrong cloud-graph on the Solr monitoring page.
> The machine that has Shard 2 appears on the graph on shard 1, and the
> replicas are also mixed, shard 2 appears as 1 and shard 1 appears as 2.
>
> Any ideas why this happens?
>
> Thanks,
> Ophir

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.