Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Duane Gran <ra...@spinweb.net> on 2000/09/27 03:03:49 UTC

JSP permission issue

I am having what is probably a simple permission issue related to Tomcat
3.2b4.  I find that the following URL returns a 500 error:

  http://tomcat.spinweb.net:8080/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp

As you can tell, I'm conducting the test with the example context with
Tomcat in stand alone mode.  The interesting thing is that the above URL
works just fine if I start Tomcat as root, but when I start the engine
as a tomcat user then it doesn't work.  Servlets work, but JSP doesn't.
This leads me to conclude that this is a permissions issue.

I checked in the $TOMCAT_HOME/work directory and I notice that the
context directories exist and files are created for the snoop.jsp
request.  I'm not sure where else to look, but I'm sure this is a way to
get this to work.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Duane Gran

Re: JSP permission issue

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Duane Gran wrote:

> I am having what is probably a simple permission issue related to Tomcat
> 3.2b4.  I find that the following URL returns a 500 error:
>
>   http://tomcat.spinweb.net:8080/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp
>
> As you can tell, I'm conducting the test with the example context with
> Tomcat in stand alone mode.  The interesting thing is that the above URL
> works just fine if I start Tomcat as root, but when I start the engine
> as a tomcat user then it doesn't work.  Servlets work, but JSP doesn't.
> This leads me to conclude that this is a permissions issue.
>
> I checked in the $TOMCAT_HOME/work directory and I notice that the
> context directories exist and files are created for the snoop.jsp
> request.  I'm not sure where else to look, but I'm sure this is a way to
> get this to work.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Two quick ones:

* Tomcat-specific issues like this are best raised on the TOMCAT-USER
  list, rather than this one.

* A dump of the stack trace you get, plus the interesting contents of any
  log files that are produced, would help people understand and then
  interpret what is going on.

> Duane Gran

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat