Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net> on 2007/03/01 16:10:15 UTC

How can I reject messages with a wrong fullname.

Sometimes messages get through but something I see that we could maybe do
something about is the full name.

If the message is sent to joedoe@example.com and joedoe's fullname is Joe
Doe, then I'd like to get SA to see that

To: Heavenly Mergatroyd <jo...@example.com>

should score a couple extra points.

I'd need to be able to configure an association with things that are legal
for joedoe, like Joe, Joeseph, Joe Doe, Joseph Doe, J0e D0e, etc...

Is there anything like this? Can it be built?

TIA

steveo at syslang.net

Re: How can I reject messages with a wrong fullname.

Posted by John Wilcock <jo...@tradoc.fr>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
> That looks kinda fragile in the face of multiple TO addresses.

Agreed, though that's not a scenario that I personally see very often.
In any case it was only meant as a simplified example from which the
original poster could build his own rule.

John.

--
-- Over 3000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages    - www.tradoc.fr

Re: How can I reject messages with a wrong fullname.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, John Wilcock wrote:

> header 	__TO_user	 To =~ /username\@example.com/i
> header 	__GOODREAL_user	 To =~ /\b(?:first|sur|nick)name\b/i
>
> meta	 BADREAL_user	(__TO_user && !__GOODREAL_user && !TO_ADDRESS_EQ_REAL
> && !NO_REAL_NAME && !USER_IN_WHITELIST)
> describe BADREAL_user	Wrong real name
> score	 BADREAL_user	2.0

That looks kinda fragile in the face of multiple TO addresses.

  USMC Rules of Gunfighting #9: Accuracy is relative: most combat
  shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than
  the inherent accuracy of the gun.
 12 days until Albert Einstein's 128th Birthday

Re: How can I reject messages with a wrong fullname.

Posted by John Wilcock <jo...@tradoc.fr>.
Evan Platt wrote:
> At 07:10 AM 3/1/2007, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>> Sometimes messages get through but something I see that we could maybe
>> do something about is the full name.
>>
>> If the message is sent to joedoe@example.com and joedoe's fullname is
>> Joe Doe, then I'd like to get SA to see that
>>
>> To: Heavenly Mergatroyd <jo...@example.com>
>
> BAD Idea.
>
> I just looked at about 3 dozen pieces of e-mail. Only about 4 of them
> had my real name. So would you also add extra points for that?

I wouldn't be so categorical that it's a bad idea; I've been using such
a rule for my own personal mail a couple of years with success.

You might start with something like this - but the __GOODREAL rule in
particular will of course need to be heavily tailored to suit individual
cases, allowing for all possible nicknames, common misspellings and the
like.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> BAD Idea.
>
> I just looked at about 3 dozen pieces of e-mail. Only about 4 of them had
> my real name. So would you also add extra points for that?

Personally I'd say "bad idea" rather than "BAD idea".

I in fact have such a rule that scores at around 2 points, and only about
10-15% of the time does it hit on anything other than spam, with one
exception: the major thing it FPs on is messages I send and automatically
bcc to myself.  ;-)

        Loren

Re: How can I reject messages with a wrong fullname.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.