Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Alexander Elsholz <al...@gmx.de> on 2005/02/04 16:22:28 UTC

Problems when using AWTRenderer for asynchron printing

Hi folks,

we use the awtrenderer for asynchron printing. that means start printjob in
an own thread and we stop the rendering-process when page-queue is larger
then 3 items. the print-method of pageable wakes up the renderer to go on.

Since few months we have font-scaling problems and we have find out that
when printing synchron we have no problems.

We think that the state in fop-engine will not reset - but we dont found it.
Have somebody an idea?

thanks alex

--
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Superg�nstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Problems when using AWTRenderer for asynchron printing

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Alexander Elsholz wrote:
> its not a jdk problem. i tried the latest jdk 1.4.2_06 and also the jdk
> 1.5_01
> without any success.

The AWT font subsystem had well known problems with multithreding
in 1.3 and up to 1.4.1. It is said Sun fixed *some* issues, but
there may be still some remaining. I suggest checking the Java
bug parade.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Problems when using AWTRenderer for asynchron printing

Posted by Alexander Elsholz <al...@gmx.de>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Alexander Elsholz wrote:
>
>> we use the awtrenderer for asynchron printing. that means start
>> printjob in
>> an own thread and we stop the rendering-process when page-queue is
>> larger
>> then 3 items. the print-method of pageable wakes up the renderer to
>> go on.
>>
>> Since few months we have font-scaling problems and we have find out that
>> when printing synchron we have no problems.
>>

> The AWT is not thread safe. Check whether upgrading to the latest
> 1.4 JDK solves the problem, Sun fixed some font-related problems.

its not a jdk problem. i tried the latest jdk 1.4.2_06 and also the jdk
1.5_01
without any success.

regards alex

Re: Problems when using AWTRenderer for asynchron printing

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.