Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Preston Podaril <pp...@ispi.net> on 2005/01/12 19:19:03 UTC

[users@httpd] libhttpd.ep child processes stalling

We have been having some weird issues with Apache for several months
now.  I have been trying to dig out the reason for it with truss and
lsof, but I have been unable to catch anything abnormal.

We are running Solaris 8.  We upgraded to Apache (mod_ssl) 1.3.33 and
PHP 4.3.10 a week and a half ago.  Before that we were running Apache
(mod_ssl) 1.3.29 and PHP 4.3.4.  In both scenarios this problem is
occurring.

Our problem is that the libhttpd.ep processes appear to be leaking
memory for some reason.  They also will go to sleep indefinitely (as
seen in a truss).  The processes that are problematic will grow up to
80M in RES size, checking out a truss on them, doesn't seem to show
anything abnormal, nothing that would denote its size getting so large.
  When we get a lot of these processes between 50M and 80M the machines
RAM and swap will get filled up, and then it will become fairly
unusable.  I have left a truss go overnight on one of these processes
that is "dead" and this is all it would show, over and over again in
thet output of the truss.

sigsuspend(0xFFBDDE68)      (sleeping...)
signotifywait()         (sleeping...)
lwp_sema_wait(0xFDF0DE30)   (sleeping...)
signotifywait()                 = 16
lwp_sigredirect(0, SIGUSR1, 0x00000000)     = 0
sigsuspend(0xFFBDDE68)      (sleeping...)
signotifywait()         (sleeping...)
lwp_sema_wait(0xFDF0DE30)   (sleeping...)
signotifywait()                 = 16
lwp_sigredirect(0, SIGUSR1, 0x00000000)     = 0

It has proven really hard to determine what is causing the problem here.
       MaxClients are set at 70 and 90 for the two different sized
machines in the cluster.  I have messed with the MaxRequestsPerChild and
MaxKeepAliveRequests with no avail, both are set at 1000 currently.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this?  or any other
testing utilities I can use to help track down the problem?

Preston Podaril
ppod@ispi.net
Network Administrator
ispi of Lincoln