Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com> on 2000/12/11 16:17:00 UTC

Sun And SOAP

  Sun just did an announcement about their support for XML
and business to business messaging and Java - SOAP was
conspicuously absent!

For example - the ebXML project
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/mproject/

I would really hate to get caught up in the SUN - MicroSoft
power struggle by working with SOAP.  Does anybody have any
inside information about SUN's intentions?

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/

RE: Sun And SOAP

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
1. Are WSDL and ebXML competing technologies ??

You can't directly compare WSDL and ebXML any better than you can compare
SOAP and ebXML. WSDL is to ebXML as a carborator is to a car. WSDL describes
a Web Services interface. ebXML describes a framework for international
trade. As part of the framework, ebXML has a mechanism that describes a
business interface, which is similar to but not the same as a Web Service
interface. An ebXML business interface specifies the contents of the
messages that need to be exchanged. Messages can contain both XML and
non-XML data. The business interface also describes other information
necessary to support business transactions.

2. Sun is a member or UDDI .. does it necessarily mean that
    sun supports WSDL ?? I understand that the present UDDI specs does not
    mention anything about WSDL but is there an effort to include it in near
future ??

Sun currently has no official position on WSDL.

Sun is a member of the UDDI Working Group, but WSDL is not part of UDDI.
According to the current UDDI specs, a UDDI registry doesn't specify an
actual Web Service interface. UDDI includes four types of information:
- White Pages: basic information about an organization such as name and
contact information
- Yellow Pages: a taxonomy that describes the types of business and services
in the registry
- Green Pages: a Web Service description, including a description of the
business process and a programming specification
- Service Type Registration: a common type for many service instances -- the
service type indicates things like what protocol is used to communicate with
services of this service type.

Conceivably, a WSDL interface definition could be included in a green pages
entry, but in many cases, a green pages entry will point to a URL or another
more detailed repository, which will provide the detailed information you
need to interface with the service (namespace, schema, service interface,
trade party agreements, etc.)

Regards,
Anne

Re: Sun And SOAP

Re: Sun And SOAP

Posted by Dave Ford <df...@smart-soft.com>.
<<SOAP is not a factor in any "Sun/Microsoft power struggle">>

Despite your comments. I don't believe this to be true!

When looking at section 2 of the ebXML TRP spec, which lists all of the
participants, I noticed that MS is the one company whose name is not on
there.

The developer community already has many ways to send messages across
process boundaries:

- IIOP
- JRMP
- DCOM
- SOAP

While they each may differ slightly in features, the bottom line is, we
don't need another protocol. We need consensus - and interoperability.  All
apps will not be written in java. All apps will not be written with MS
products.

Thus, when yet another way to send messages comes up, in this case "ebXML
TRP",  I believe the main questions that need to be addressed are:

How does this compare to, compete with or compliment existing messaging
technologies.
Why the need for yet another?
Why not use one of the existing?
Does MS support it?

These are questions that intelligent IT customers will ask. Yet Sun doesn't
address these issues. Not because they are unimportant, but because Sun
doesn't want to acknowledge SOAP, something that MS started.

The fact the JSR #000067 "Java APIs for XML Messaging 1.0" doesn't even
"mention" SOAP has everything to do with the "Sun/Microsoft power struggle".
For that matter, they don't mention RMI, CORBA or JMS either.

Why has Sun not created an API for sending and receiving SOAP messages? Here
was your answer:

"Sun is not building a SOAP implementation because we don't think we need
two different SOAP implementations for Java."

If this were true, why the need for two xml parsers: Sun's JAXP and Apache's
Xerces.

The real reason is, I believe, political: MS is pushing SOAP. Sun and MS
are, once again, in the midst of a power struggle, to the detriment of the
community.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave Ford

Re: Sun And SOAP

Re: Sun And SOAP

Re: Sun And SOAP

Posted by Jon Bosak <bo...@boethius.eng.sun.com>.
Excellent summary.

| The ebXML TRP protocol is similar to HP's SOAP Messages with
| Attachments specification (see
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/general/soapattachspec.asp), which
| wasn't available when ebXML TRP was developing its spec.

And which under the terms of the submission from Microsoft, HP, et al.
won't become licensable on fair and nondiscriminatory terms until XP
becomes a W3C Recommendation.  Let's not forget this.

Jon

Re: Sun And SOAP

Posted by Jon Bosak <bo...@boethius.eng.sun.com>.
Excellent summary.

RE: Sun And SOAP

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

Re: Sun And SOAP

Posted by James Yegerlehner <ja...@kamiak.com>.
From: "Gus Delgado" <gu...@netquotient.com>
> I'm just starting to read about this new JMX which from what I heard is an
> alternative to SOAP, here is the link

Interesting, but JMX looks to me like it offers functionality similar to
UPnP, not general web services via SOAP. The docs at the URL you pointed to
for JMX even refer to a protocol adapter for Universal Plug and Play
(www.upnp.org). The "MBean" looks to me very much like a UPnP service, in as
much as it has attributes ( equiv to UPnP state variables), methods and
events.

Regards,
James Yegerlehner
james@kamiak.com

Re: Sun And SOAP

Posted by James Yegerlehner <ja...@kamiak.com>.
From: "Gus Delgado" <gu...@netquotient.com>

RE: Sun And SOAP

Posted by Gus Delgado <gu...@netquotient.com>.
I'm just starting to read about this new JMX which from what I heard is an
alternative to SOAP, here is the link

http://java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement/

Gus Delgado
Consultant