Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Nick Faiz <ni...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/06 13:33:47 UTC

upgrade nlog4j

Hi,

Could someone please look over DIREVE242 to think about upgrading nlog4j?

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIREVE-242

Hopefully it will get rid of the NoSuchMethodError I was seeing a few weeks ago.

Cheers,
Nick

Re: upgrade nlog4j

Posted by Nick Faiz <ni...@atlassian.com>.
Ok then, I'll write it.

> I agree as far as I don't have to write it... Jelly is not my cup of
> tea ;)

Really, once you learn a couple of tricks in Jelly you can find a way
to do most things. :) I

I'll add a preGoal to jar:jar which will warn, very loudly, if
different versions of the same jar are listed as dependencies in the
various project.xml files lying around.

I can't see any other solution although I dont think this is
particularly elegant.

I'll send something through to this list when it's running. If anyone
has a better solution please let me know.

Cheers,
Nick

Re: upgrade nlog4j

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: upgrade nlog4j

Posted by Nick Faiz <ni...@atlassian.com>.
This sounds like a good move, as far as handling dependency madness
goes. It works quite well in apacheds/trunk/project.xml right now.

It'd be even better if we could have a parent POM above that, for all
of the projects.

Anyway, we can discuss this further tomorrow.

Cheers,
Nick

Re: upgrade nlog4j

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>We could flatten the entire svn layout and put common deps like nlog in
>>a parent POM and multiproject it.  I'm only half kidding.  We could
>>probably flatten in a couple places and gain most of the benefit.
>
> Hmmm... Seems to be a good idea. Plus the fact that it could help the
> integration in Eclipse ;)
>
> We should do it for some very common jars like :
>  - nlog4j
>  - junit
>  - commons-lang

I'm all for totally flattening it, as this is the best practice for
OSGi, as evidenced by the repos for Eclipse and Knopflerfish and
discussions in the last two weeks on Eclipse Equinox and Apache Felix
mailing lists.  But, I was expecting push-back, so I was more thinking
of just cleaning up by maven groupId, resulting in 5-6 multiproject'ed
groups.  For example, protocol providers all have the deps:
- nlog4j
- junit
- mina

So, really this just affects protocols, shared, and maybe standalone.

This applies best for the OSGi bundles since they have the most deps:
- ldap-common    (org.apache.ldap.common.filter.ExprNode)
- apacheds-core  (org.apache.ldap.server.configuration.Configuration)
- antlr          (antlr.TokenStreamException)
- nlog4j
- junit
- osgi-framework
- osgi-service
- osgi-util
- servicebinder
- maven-osgi-plugin

Those first 3 we can probably remove someday.  They occur due to bad
encapsulation, but that's another thread (I made a quick note of the
offending class).

Enrique

Re: upgrade nlog4j

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.