Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/08/03 14:22:39 UTC

Re: Contribution from an ml post (Was: Problem with Bayesian Analysis)

Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On 7/28/08, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Norman Maurer ha scritto:
>>> Hi Stefano,
>>>
>>> I think a jira issue is the "safest" ;-)
>> I know it's safer, but before writing to him I'd like to understand if
>> in the case he doesn't want to create a JIRA account we have to reject
>> this patch or there is a way to accept it anyway.
>
> JIRA is a convenience not a necessity. AL2.0 covers us ok but it's
> best to be polite and ask. Some public record is a good idea in the
> event of a dispute.
> Robert

That's what I thought. So in this case (we already solved it because he
created a JIRA, and anyway we already had that patch in trunk from
Norman, so there was no need for a contribution at all), I told the user
that he could have contributed his patch if he wanted us to include it
in the next release and he posted the snippet in reply to this message:
this would have been enough as a "public record" for such a small
contribution, right?

Stefano

Re: Contribution from an ml post (Was: Problem with Bayesian Analysis)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> I know it's safer, but before writing to him I'd like to understand if
>>> in the case he doesn't want to create a JIRA account we have to reject
>>> this patch or there is a way to accept it anyway.
>>
>> JIRA is a convenience not a necessity. AL2.0 covers us ok but it's
>> best to be polite and ask. Some public record is a good idea in the
>> event of a dispute.
>> Robert
>
> That's what I thought. So in this case (we already solved it because he
> created a JIRA, and anyway we already had that patch in trunk from Norman,
> so there was no need for a contribution at all), I told the user that he
> could have contributed his patch if he wanted us to include it in the next
> release and he posted the snippet in reply to this message: this would have
> been enough as a "public record" for such a small contribution, right?

in the end, it's a judgement call with ethical and legal dimensions.
FWIW from the information you've provided, i would have made the same
call as you.

it's clearest to have a JIRA. in the old days, many (or indeed most)
patches were contributed via the mailing lists. so yes, that's good
enough but experience has taught that JIRA with active tickbox is a
much clearer. digging out information about contributions from mailing
lists and commit records takes time and is difficult.

- robert