Posted to sysadmins@spamassassin.apache.org by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/15 13:30:22 UTC

My stumbles on-boarding

When I took the Unix Admin position where I work now it sort of went like
this.

They gave me a workstation, direct root access to all servers and routers
in the network and more or less said have at it and thats what I have been
doing for the last 13 years with a few bumps along the way.

This created a shell around me that I am trying to break, almost an anxiety
shell of leaving my always root home. Always dealing with the same people
and so on.

Breaking into OpenSource to help with the skills that I have seemed to be
the best way to break that shell. Though I feel at this point I am becoming
more of a burden than a help since I have yet do do anything though between
everyone else at least half of the system seems to be up.

Does anyone see anything else that I am missing in my on-boarding steps.

Mobile:419-305-9232

--Bryan Vest

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
Until infra responds about that ticket don't bother trying.
Regards,
KAM

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.
I meant ssh debug turned on.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

  #0 client-session (t3 r-1 i0/0 o0/0 fd 5/6 cc -1)

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 5/15/2017 3:03 PM, Bryan Vest wrote:
> opie is all setup I can now sudo su - to root on sa-vm1.
Woot!

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Asst. Treasurer, Apache Software Foundation

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
Did you mention the ticket to infra?

KAM

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.

Re: My stumbles on-boarding

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
I would not sweat it.  We are all volunteers and it's not like I had a yellow brick road of onboarding that was simple to follow.  My two cents is just to be more vocal about hurdles.

For example, in the email below there is little way for me to know what you have or have not done for onboarding until you tell me a problem you have.

My key question is did you email infra@a.o about your ticket for access to sa-vm1?
Regards,
KAM