Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au> on 1998/01/07 09:21:52 UTC

os_canonical_filename() ?

While trying to sort out some case (in)sensitivity problems I came across the
os_canonical_filename() function. Can anyone explain just what it does and
why? Do I need to write one for OS/2?

Re: os_canonical_filename() ?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Brian Havard wrote:

> While trying to sort out some case (in)sensitivity problems I came across the
> os_canonical_filename() function. Can anyone explain just what it does and
> why? Do I need to write one for OS/2?

It tries to convert a path into some form that is considered canonical.
The goal is that there should be no way for two paths to not be identical
in a strcmp() and refer to the same thing.  Obviously this would exclude
symlinks, etc. as those really refer to different things.