Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Rahul Sood <rs...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/03/05 18:31:52 UTC

Pipes task being killed

Hi,

We have a Pipes C++ application where the Reduce task does a lot of
computation. After some time the task gets killed by the Hadoop
framework. The job output shows the following error:

Task task_200803051654_0001_r_000000_0 failed to report status for 604
seconds. Killing!

Is there any way to send a heartbeat to the TaskTracker from a Pipes
application. I believe this is possible in Java using
org.apache.hadoop.util.Progress and we're looking for something
equivalent in the C++ Pipes API.

-Rahul Sood
rsood@yahoo-inc.com

Re: Pipes task being killed

Posted by Miles Osborne <mi...@inf.ed.ac.uk>.
Is this also true for streaming?

Miles

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.

Re: Pipes task being killed

Posted by Vlad Kudelin <vk...@yahoo-inc.com>.
There is or was an option you could try to play with, smth. like
-jobconf mapred.task.timeout=600000
The number is in milliseconds.

// I actually needed to use it to *decrease* the default timeout which I
believe is quite big; at times things hang, and this is a possible
workaround to get a hung one killed by the f/w.

PS: I totally am with Richard's know-how: hadoop doesn't care whether
your app has finished (and how it's finished); all what matters is that
stdin is consumed...

Vlad.

Re: Pipes task being killed

Posted by Richard Kasperski <rk...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Pipes task being killed

Posted by Owen O'Malley <oo...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Mar 5, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Rahul Sood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a Pipes C++ application where the Reduce task does a lot of
> computation. After some time the task gets killed by the Hadoop
> framework. The job output shows the following error:
>
> Task task_200803051654_0001_r_000000_0 failed to report status for 604
> seconds. Killing!
>
> Is there any way to send a heartbeat to the TaskTracker from a Pipes
> application. I believe this is possible in Java using
> org.apache.hadoop.util.Progress and we're looking for something
> equivalent in the C++ Pipes API.

The context object has a progress method that should be called during
long computations...
http://tinyurl.com/yt7hyx
search for progress...

-- Owen