Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/04/03 14:55:06 UTC

Re: Maven & Log4j

Hi Jason,

At 10:51 31.03.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As part of testing Maven (http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/)
with
>various Jakarta projects I took a first stab at generating the
>documentation for log4j with Maven. The results are here:
>
>http://24.157.133.102/log4j/

I very much like the new look.

>I need to fix the logo and Ceki I apologize for the appearance of your
>name I need to fix something in the xml mechanism. But you can see that
>there a lot of documents that Maven produces so that you don't have to
>bother with much other then your project specific documentation. There
>is a Maven Documentation section on the bottom left where all the Maven
>generated docs live.

No problem regarding the appearance of my name. My name is already a
test
case for the existing anakia-based system for building the jakarta web
site. I
guess it is better to be a test case rather than a basket case.

You are surely aware that the generated docs are incomplete but
obviously that could be corrected.

>At any rate, a maven build system can exist in parallel with what you
>currently have and I would be glad to work with the log4j group to move
>toward a maven-based system if you are interested. I'm interested
>because I use log4j heavily and would like to try to help the whole
>log4j development process with Maven if I can.

In principle, I am favorable to move the  log4j site to Maven.  As I
explained in
our previous exchange, given the upcoming log4j 1.2 release in the next
few
weeks
I do not  have time to spare on non critical items. However, perhaps
some
other
log4j developer might rise to the challenge.  Whoever that person is, he
(as far
as I know we do not have female developers)  would be lucky to work with
you.

I can also continue to work on the integration and once it's further
along it may be more appealing for someone to help. I know that everyone
is busy but I guarantee that Maven will eventually save you valuable
time. I will plug away :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl