Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Tink <fl...@tink.ws> on 2012/03/16 10:14:48 UTC

MobileAlert - quetwo

I immediately noticed when looking at this is that it extends
SkinnablePopUpContainer.

In my mind an Alert isn't a container. You do not create one and then
put contents in it, and therefore you get unnecessary overhead with
the container, and from outside the API will look like you can add
elements to it.

I would suggest we add a SkinnablePopUpComponent, then and Alert can
be added on top of that. Then do we need a MobileAlert and Alert, or
can we not just have a different skin for the 2 versions?

Tink

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Alex,

I'm hoping for something more generic than that.  Only one of the 6 or so
of the mobile apps I've published were able to utilize the
View/ViewApplication/TabbedViewApplication construct.  This should be able
to be used from any Mobile project.

-Nick

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.  I do know that
my testing suite did NOT like your PopUpExample.mxml being in there :)
(this is a library on my side, which caused all sorts of errors).

-Nick

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Tink <fl...@tink.ws>.
Done.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Tink <fl...@tink.ws> wrote:

> You mean relative positioning to another component, or providing a series
> of absolute x and y positions?

Exactly. I have solutions already for the issue also. Just raising a flag.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Tink <fl...@tink.ws>.
On 16 Mar 2012, at 20:20, Jonathan Campos wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Tink <fl...@tink.ws> wrote:
>
>> One thing I would like to see implemented in the new
>> SkinnablePopUpContainer, and added to the PopUpSkinnableContainer,
>> is the
>> ability to center the popup, and keep it centered. They should also
>> contain
>> the metadata for the modal styles so they can be set inline.
>

> My one problem with the SkinnablePopups is they use a function called
> updatePosition (or something like that) to position themselves. This
> seems
> okay, but what if you want to be able to give 1 popup multiple
> places to
> popup (based on user input). To solve this I've long since extended
> the
> SkinnablePopups to include additional parameters similar to the
> callout's
> functionality. Then the updatePosition (or whatever) function uses
> those
> parameters to position itself.
>
> I'd probably push to add a few positioning parameters to the
> SkinnablePopups.
>
> --
> Jonathan Campos

You mean relative positioning to another component, or providing a
series of absolute x and y positions?

If you mean positioning relative to components, I have a layout
(layouts should position stuff) for positioning popups relative to
other components, that supports the same positioning s a Callout (the
code in Callout is pretty bad, layout all over the shop), and it also
supports the ability to control the positioning of a pointer as well.
It's a little strange how it works as you use the layout in the popup
skin, and it actually positiongs the content and the arrow, not the
component or the skin itself. I dig it out and provide an example.

Tink

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Tink <fl...@tink.ws>.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Tink <fl...@tink.ws>.
Modal shouldn't disable other components (i.e. it shouldn't set
enabled to false on the components as it will then change their skin
state) it just places a mouse blocker above all content but below your
popup, you'd want this on mobile though i would have thought. You'd
also want  to make sure the Alert appear above all other content.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Tink <fl...@tink.ws>.

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <s9...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Tink <fl...@tink.ws> wrote:

> Push itself as a view? i.e. removing the view that the Alert is for? Thats
> not what i see with native iOS and Android apps.
>
> Tink

I agree I don't think it should push itself as a view. What I would expect
out of an Alert type component is to appear over my current view while
blocking interaction with the view underneath it. I would also expect such
a component to give me options to skin the modal layer so I can either use
a s:Rect or maybe use an image or some vector art.

--
Omar Gonzalez
s9tpepper@apache.org

Re: MobileAlert - quetwo