Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/12 16:43:51 UTC

[2.3] Factor out and release Mordred

IIRC mordred can't be compiled with 1.6

it's deleted from 3.x but if it were pulled out from 2.3 and then
quickly released then this should ease the 2.3 compilation situation.
i'm willing to do the necessary.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [2.3] Factor out and release Mordred

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1
>
> If you really want to work on such things on the "old" branch, I would
> prefer to call it 2.4

i'm not sure i really want to but IMHO the fixes done on 2.3 deserve a release

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
+1

If you really want to work on such things on the "old" branch, I would
prefer to call it 2.4

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> IIRC mordred can't be compiled with 1.6
>>
>> it's deleted from 3.x but if it were pulled out from 2.3 and then
>> quickly released then this should ease the 2.3 compilation situation.
>> i'm willing to do the necessary.
>>
>> opinions?
>
> IMHO v2.3 is for critical bug fixes only. Refactoring is not part of
> critical bug fixing.

FWIW i wasn't proposing any refactoring at all - just pulling out the
two classes and releasing them as a separate jar so that users can
build on more modern JVMs

> A set of changes like this one, the mailet jars and something else IMHO
> belong more to a v2.4 branch than a bugfixing branch.

this seems to be the consensus

i'll delete the 2.3.3 release in JIRA (no issues associated anyway)
and create a 2.4 and move the replacements of source with the library
version

> BTW this is not important as long as we have svn history and we can
> decide what to do just before a release. It make no sense to decide
> today something about a release/release number as we don't know if we'll
> release tomorrow or the next century.

i was thinking about cutting an RC for 2.3.2 sometime soon. it's been
too long and it really shouldn't be controversial.

providing that the changes for 2.4 just consist of replacing source
versions with compatible library versions then there can't be much to
argue about, can there?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.