Posted to user@struts.apache.org by re...@bridgesolutions.net on 2002/10/03 12:34:37 UTC

[OT] Character Based User Interface

we have some customers who still prefer having a character based user
interface (i.e. VT-emulation on unix systems).
reasons: speed of data entry, used to etc.

as we have to respect the customers reasons and don't want to start some
"philosophic" discussion about (dis)advantages of GUI, HTML or VT we are
looking for a lite weight solutions to add a VT capability to our java
applications.

Does anybody of you hav experiences with this kind of user interface for a
java system? Where can I find information about possible solutions?

Does anybody of you have a struts application which has a co-existing
character based user interface?

tia
rene

Re: [OT] Character Based User Interface

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
This MVC (Struts) you can access your model (beans) via a console
application, or JTable Swing (directly or via SOAP).
The point of MVC is to reuse components, and have a disposable
presentation layer.

An easy solution would be JTable with beans.
Else you have to write a console (system main (String[] arg) ui.

.V

Posted by John Owen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
I haven't coded anything for a specific terminal emulation, but I try to
design my systems so that the view doesn't matter. I follow common J2EE
design patterns and implement a business delegate that returns data that can
be used by a character-based interface, a Swing GUI, a struts application
and probably anything else. I normally create simplistic character-based (or
simple web forms) front-ends before I decide on a final view. As far as
links for specific VT implementations in Java, I have none.

Good luck,
John