Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2006/12/28 11:31:59 UTC

Question about DTD in DocBook files

I'm starting to port the CVD documentation to DocBook.  For my XML
editing, I use the Eclipse WebTools, which can give me great syntax
support -- if it can find the DTD.  This works when I change the DTD
address from

http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd

../../../docbook/docbook-xml-4.4/docbookx.dtd

Even if I could make the web URL work, I would still prefer the local
file, as I may work on this when I'm not connected to the network.
Anybody see any problem with that?  Marshall?

Thanks,
Thilo

Re: Question about DTD in DocBook files

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> I'm starting to port the CVD documentation to DocBook.  For my XML
>> editing, I use the Eclipse WebTools, which can give me great syntax
>> support -- if it can find the DTD.  This works when I change the DTD
>> address from
>>
>> http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd

>> ../../../docbook/docbook-xml-4.4/docbookx.dtd
>>
>> Even if I could make the web URL work, I would still prefer the local
>> file, as I may work on this when I'm not connected to the network.
>> Anybody see any problem with that?
>
> Might be OK, but all these kinds of issues are "supposed" to be handled
> by XML Catalogs.  These map official DTD names to local files.  "DocBook
> XSL: The Complete Guide" has a whole chapter on this, which is available
> online: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html
>
> I use XMLBuddy in Eclipse, which has all kinds of Eclipse-style DTD
> provided help (such as auto-completion, showing you only "valid" choices
> of tags, attributes, attribute-values, etc., all based on the DTDs).  It
> seems to work fine with the XML Catalogs.  (Note: these Catalogs are
> part of the uima-docbooks project).
>
> -Marshall\

I use the web tools, which work fine for me in other contexts.  However,
I managed to send Eclipse into an infinite loop by adding the DocBook ID
to the XML catalog (of the web tools xml editor).  I had to kill Eclipse
and manually edit the appropriate Eclipse config file to get things
working again.  Either I did something wrong, or there's a bug in the
web tool's XML catalog support; likely both, actually.  I'm not prepared
to spend more time on this, so I'll leave the CVD's doc file pointing at
a local DTD for now.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.