Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/21 22:39:13 UTC

System clocks

Hello,

Do system clocks have to be the same across all the nodes?

Example:
Server A in the US
Server B in Japan
Server C in France

Do I have to set the same system time on all of them?
Any link to a documentation about that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Benjamin Jaton

Re: System clocks

Posted by Raúl Gutiérrez Segalés <rg...@itevenworks.net>.
On 21 April 2014 14:02, Raúl Gutiérrez Segalés <rg...@itevenworks.net> wrote:

> But your transactions would have different timestamps as the leader
changes timezone from one election to the next, no? Or are they all UTC?

So it seems that the timestamp for TxnHeaders comes from:

https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/blob/trunk/src/java/main/org/apache/zookeeper/server/ZooKeeperServer.java#L302

which is a call to System.currentTimeMillis, which is ms since the unix
epoch. So it is timezone independent.

-rgs

Re: System clocks

Posted by Raúl Gutiérrez Segalés <rg...@itevenworks.net>.