Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Skip <sk...@thedevers.org> on 2016/08/05 17:55:12 UTC

Ofbiz Cookbook

I just got finished reading Apache OFBiz Cookbook (Open Source: Community
Experience Distilled) by Ruth Hoffman.

I have been writing Ofbiz code since before it was an Apache project.  This
book would have saved me six months of digging through Ofbiz code and
inspite of my nearly a decade of experience, I still learned several new
things in it.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, beginner and expert alike and
strongly recommend this book for anyone just getting started.  It is well
written and worth every penny.  When you get the Data Resource book, get
this one too and read it first.

Amazon has it here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1847199186/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?i
e=UTF8&psc=1

I have never met or spoken to Ruth even though she posts on this forum from
time to time.

Thanks Ruth.

Skip

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Very interesting discussion. What paul has mentioned is making perfect
sense.

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/

Re: Realistic lean Roadmap [was Ofbiz Cookbook]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
You are right, it should be moved to the open space. I'll wait a consensus before engaging more effort on this. Not only on the page itself but also
on the prioritized goals.

Jacques

Le 17/08/2016 � 20:01, Pierre Smits a �crit :

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I move and replace the "Ofbiz Cookbook" thread from the user ML since it
> concerns more developers
>
> We need to have a very realistic lean Roadmap to agree on, follow and
> progress.
>
> We can reuse https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/New+
> Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document by simply prioritize the goals, then
> pick up them as they come and prioritize again now and then when needed.
>
> We don't need to prioritize all tasks. Simply few that we put at top to
> really work on them as a team and then sort again once they are done.
> For that I have already added in this order "Introduce a plugin system"
> and "Replace Minilang and widgets actions by a Groovy DSL"
>
> Also I don't think we need to maintain lists of "interested" and "willing
> to help" people by goal. So I have removed this information. It's about
> having a lean roadmap here, anybody can join at any moment. Rather links to
> Jira can help to find people interested.
>
> I just removed the achieved or abandoned goals there:
> Abandoned: Ivy integration (because of Gradle integration), Complete the
> support for VAT(WIP was removed)
> Achieved: Solr integration
>
> It simple and lean, what do you think?
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 13/08/2016 à 10:19, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
>
>> +1
>>
>> On Aug 13, 2016 10:18 AM, "gil portenseigne" <gil.portenseigne@nereide.fr
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes i like this plan :)
>>>
>>> Gil
>>>
>>> Le 12/08/2016 à 13:26, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>>
>>> Yes, and I believe, when we will have worked out Gradle stuff (at least:

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: Realistic lean Roadmap

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
The idea is to focus team efforts on a small number of important goals rather than scatter energies on a lot of small goals

To stay focused we need a Roadmap, a simple and realistic one.

Jacques

Le 17/08/2016 � 19:05, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Yes i like this plan :)

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
+1

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> I think Jacopo has more to say about that :)
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Groovy+
> DSL+for+OFBiz+business+logic
>
> Jacques

Agreed. We could improve the ideas outlined in the current "Groovy DSL for
OFBiz", for which we have in trunk a "plugin" for Eclipse and IntelliJ
(that provides autocompletion); and start converting existing Minilang code
to it.

Jacopo

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

RE: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

RE: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Skip <sk...@thedevers.org>.

For both minilang and widgets the reason on our end is that
neither technology is used anywhere outside of the ofbiz project and thus
adds to the overall learning-curve for newcomers. We much rather rely on
trusted alternatives that are easier to pick up for our project ;)

Cheers,
Paul

I couldn't agree more Paul.  Everyone we hire has to learn minilang and it
does indeed significantly add to the learning curve.

RE: Ofbiz Cookbook

RE: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Skip <sk...@thedevers.org>.
Paul

I took the time to scan your link, but did not get into an in-depth perusal
of it.  At first glance, it is a fine overview, but in my opinion, not
nearly complete enough for a new user.  For this, I think Ruth's book is
much more useful.

I do like your decision to replace all the minilang services.  I too have
slowly been replacing them for my installations.  On the other hand, I
really like minilang screens for simple backend stuff.  You can write them
much more quickly than ftl so long as they are simple.

I also really like your new ftl macros.  I have been using the opentaps
macros for a long time and I think yours are significantly better especially
in their granularity and ability to support more display device types.  I
think Obbiz would greatly benefit if you considered contributing them back
to the Obbiz project.

Having said that, I am not sure there would be a consensus on the shift back
to ftl.  So many of the active contributors seem to like minilang.  I think
that is one of the reasons Si Chen started opentaps.

I completely missed seeing that Ruth had moved on.  That is sad.  But
hopefully, she is still getting royalities for her work.

Skip

RE: Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by user <xx...@rambler.ru>.
It has been passed 6 yrs, but Kindle version costs $17. I wonder, If the author (not publisher) still earns money on sales of the book?

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook

Posted by Todd Thorner <tt...@infotinuum.com>.

RE: Ofbiz Cookbook

Re: Ofbiz Cookbook