Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhijith Chandrashekar <Ab...@citrix.com> on 2012/11/05 00:26:02 UTC

Additions to the Building guide

Hi all,

In setting up the CloudStack build environment on DevCloud, I followed the instructions given on this guide - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+devcloud+environment+setup

In the process I felt some things were missing that should've definitely been present on the guide, especially when it is being as a sole guide to building CloudStack for the first time.

Before I make additions to the wiki, I wanted to confirm if these are some things that people have commonly faced so that the additions are valid ones.

 1.  Specify that maven3 should be used in the build process and not any of the previous versions.
 2.  Although I had assigned sufficient memory for the DevCloud VM, the build install kept quitting due to lack of memory. I later discovered that this was due to lack of swap space. I ended up creating a swap file and instructing the OS to use that as swap space.
 3.  There are instructions to set the db root password to NULL and a SO link attached. This did not help me and I (with the help of my colleague) had to change the password to something else in utils/conf/db.properties and in the database for maven to be able to access the db I the build process.
 4.  Jetty wasn't installed by default and I had to make additions in the root pom.xml to instruct maven to download it.
 5.  When deploying the devcloud.cfg file, I discovered that the python-mysql connector was not present in the VM and I had to manually download and install it.

Seeing all this, it seems like there needs to be a mention of all these caveats in the wiki so that people don't end up feeling lost.

Kindly comment on problems that you or someone you know has faced as well and I'll incorporate them as well.

Thanks,
Abhijith

RE: Additions to the Building guide

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.
The step 7 in  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+devcloud+environment+setup can actually run on your laptop.

[...]

[Edison] Are you running mgt server and mvn build inside devcloud vm? I usually run mgt server and all the build in my local laptop, but use devcloud vm as only a hypervisor host.  If you run mgt server and all the build inside devcloud vm, that will may need the hack you did inside devcloud vm.

[Abhijith] Yes, I ran the mgt server inside DevCloud. I'm unsure how I would do it the other way. Would you care to explain further?

 3.  There are instructions to set the db root password to NULL and a SO link attached. This did not help me and I (with the help of my colleague) had to change the password to something else in utils/conf/db.properties and in the database for maven to be able to access the db I the build process.

[Edison] the DB password can be configured without changing utils/conf/db.properties:  cp utils/conf/db.properties utils/conf/db.properties.override, then edit db.properties.override to whatever you want.

[Abhijith] That's actually how I did it.

 4.  Jetty wasn't installed by default and I had to make additions in the root pom.xml to instruct maven to download it.
 5.  When deploying the devcloud.cfg file, I discovered that the python-mysql connector was not present in the VM and I had to manually download and install it.

Seeing all this, it seems like there needs to be a mention of all these caveats in the wiki so that people don't end up feeling lost.

[Edison] Thanks for all the things you pointed out, it will help new comer to setup environment a lot.

Posted by Abhijith Chandrashekar <Ab...@citrix.com>.