Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Stephen Baker <st...@rmssoftwareinc.com> on 2022/03/22 18:21:02 UTC

Attributes questions

I have a number of related questions regarding the various message count attributes available.

On many of my high traffic queues Delivering size, Durable delivering size, and Durable persistent size appear to be large negative numbers like -188160082, even while the count is zero. Is that something to be concerned about, or something that I can reset to correct again?

In a queue I'm looking at Acknowledge attempts matches the number of Messages added, but Messages acknowledged is a smaller number. The difference appears to be the number of Messages expired. What does that first statistic mean?

Some of my queues have a Delivering Count less than 0, for example my DLQ which I have purged in the past (possibly from the other side of the mirror) has a Delivering count of -1989. A few other queues with negative counts are known to have slow consumers, and finally one with a core bridge has a negative count. If I can reproduce some of these scenarios is this a bug to be reported, and is there any consequence beyond the metrics?

Finally, there's an operation resetAllMessageCounters() - does that just put all metrics at 0, so any in flight or queued messages end up reporting negative numbers again, or does it somehow trigger fresh calculations for the stats?

Stephen E. Baker

Re: Attributes questions

Posted by Stephen Baker <st...@rmssoftwareinc.com>.
> On 2022-03-23, 5:42 AM, "Dondorp, Erwin" <er...@cgi.com.INVALID> wrote:
> There have been a number of fixes in this area in the recent past. Which version are you using?

I am using ArtemisMQ 2.20.0; these servers were running 2.17.0 until a few weeks ago.

RE: Attributes questions

Posted by "Dondorp, Erwin" <er...@cgi.com.INVALID>.
Stephen,
There have been a number of fixes in this area in the recent past. Which version are you using?
Erwin

Re: Attributes questions

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
> On many of my high traffic queues Delivering size, Durable delivering
size, and Durable persistent size appear to be large negative numbers like
-188160082, even while the count is zero. Is that something to be concerned
about, or something that I can reset to correct again?

Counts like this should never be negative. Whether you should be
"concerned" or not depends on if you rely on these counts to monitor your
application. Please open a Jira for this issue and provide a way to
reproduce the behavior you're seeing, if possible.

> In a queue I'm looking at Acknowledge attempts matches the number of
Messages added, but Messages acknowledged is a smaller number. The
difference appears to be the number of Messages expired. What does that
first statistic mean?

"Acknowledge Attempts" tracks the number of times an attempt was made to
acknowledge a message whether or not that acknowledgement actually
succeeded or not. For example if a client started a transaction that
involved acknowledging a message but then later rolled back that
transaction the "Acknowledge Attempts" would increment but the "Messages
Acknowledged" would not.

> If I can reproduce some of these scenarios is this a bug to be reported,
and is there any consequence beyond the metrics?

Yes, this is a bug. It's not known at this point if there are any
consequences aside from the metrics themselves.

> Finally, there's an operation resetAllMessageCounters() - does that just
put all metrics at 0, so any in flight or queued messages end up reporting
negative numbers again, or does it somehow trigger fresh calculations for
the stats?

The resetAllMessageCounters() method applies specifically to message
counters [1]. It doesn't apply generally to the metrics tracked by the
individual queue & address MBeans.

Justin

[1]
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/management.html#message-counters