Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <ol...@bearingpoint.com> on 2003/03/06 10:54:34 UTC

To all those who have been experiencing problems with 'expect: 100-continue' stuff

The 'expect: 100-continue' related code has been significantly refactored

- the overall design should have gotten simpler and cleaner
- CPU-bound response polling (busy wait) in WaitForResponse which somehow might have been contributing to the problem has been removed in favour of a more elegant solution suggested by Simon Roberts <si...@fifthweb.net> that relies on the socket timeout
- RFC 2616 compliance problem has been fixed. 1xx range status codes should never be returned from the HttpClient#executeMethod. Unexpected 1xx status code are now ignored and discarded as specified in the RFC 2616

This said, sadly enough I still have no idea what have been causing 100 response to time out in the very first place. I really need more input from you. I am kindly asking you to re-test your applications with the newest CVS snapshot and provide me with additional feedback. As far as I understand, the problem (if it has not been eliminated by the redesign and the busy wait fix) should now be manifesting itself through warning messages in the log only. Please watch for the following messages in the logs:

[INFO] HttpMethod - -100 (continue) read timeout. Resume sending the request
[INFO] HttpMethod - -Discarding unexpected response: HTTP/1.1 100 Continue

If you succeed in reproducing the problem, I would appreciate your sending me instructions as to how the problem can be reliably reproduced. A test case would be a fantastic and much appreciated contribution

Cheers

Oleg

Re: To all those who have been experiencing problems with 'expect: 100-continue' stuff

Posted by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de>.
For me it is now working, too.

Good work,
Ingo

Posted by Simon Roberts <si...@fifthweb.net>.
> > I'm am following this up with the Jetty community.
> Keep me in the feedback loop, though. If there's anything I could help
> Jetty folks with, just let me know

FYI
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=699011&group_id=732
2&atid=107322

Re: To all those who have been experiencing problems with 'expect: 100-continue' stuff

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <o....@dplanet.ch>.
Hi Simon

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 22:24, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Oleg,
> I am no longer experiencing the timeout problem (everything works well when
> sending the expect-100 header).

Glad to hear that.

Posted by Simon Roberts <si...@fifthweb.net>.
Oleg,