Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/11/15 02:02:36 UTC

Some interesting incubator stats

Hi,

Here’s some interesting incubator stats:
- Of the 315 projects that have gone through the incubator 205 have graduated, 61 have retired and 49 are currently undergoing graduation.
- That means that overall 77% of projects graduate. The ones that do not do so for a wide variety of reasons and may still exist elsewhere.
- The average time in incubation is 1.9 years
- The average time to graduate is 1.6 years
- The average time seems to be getting a little shorter. It's 1.6 years for 2015 and 1.2 years for 2016 (although this will increase as more projects from those years graduate)
- The shortest time to graduate was 58 days (way back in 2003)
- 66 projects have graduated (and another 12 retiring) in under a year
- Of the podlings that joined in 2019 so far none have graduated or retired yet
- Of the podlings that joined in 2018 1 has graduated and 1 has retired
- Of the podlings that have joined in 2017 4 have graduated and 1 has retired
- Of the podlings that joined in 2016 15 have graduated and 6 have retired
- Of the podlings that joined in 2015 20 have graduated and 5 have retired.
- The oldest project yet to graduate is from 2013 (but that will soon be 2014)
- Over the life time of the incubator there has been 1044 podling mentors[1]
- Some people mentor many projects so that’s 339 different people[1]
- One person has mentored 29 projects
- 20 people have mentored 10 or more projects [1]
- One person has been the champion for more than 10 projects

I find it amazing that the incubator have been involved with more than 300 communities and involved so many mentors.

Thanks,
Justin

1. Probably more as mentors have changed over time.

Re: Some interesting incubator stats

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.
Great job, Justin! We need more insights like this to see how our podlings
going.

Thanks,

Junping

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年11月15日周五 上午10:02写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Please provide both median and mean values. I looked at Chinese podlings for my talk at COSCon 2019. The median was less than the mean due to the pull from projects taking a long time.

The median would be less than the mean as you note. The median is 1.4 years to gradate and 1.3 years to exit.

> These are important numbers. Are you computing this completely from podlings.xml?

Yes that's where in information come from, but I needed to alter the data format before I come up with these numbers. Not hat it couldn’t be calculated from the XML it would just take a bit more programming effort.

> We could put this together with clutch analysis or the podling chart on projects.a.o.

We do have a chart showing podling extra/exit over time about somewhere.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Some interesting incubator stats

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Hi Justin,

This is great information. Thanks!

Please provide both median and mean values. I looked at Chinese podlings for my talk at COSCon 2019. The median was less than the mean due to the pull from projects taking a long time.

Your numbers do look similar.

These are important numbers. Are you computing this completely from podlings.xml?

We could put this together with clutch analysis or the podling chart on projects.a.o.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> - Of the <X> podlings that joined in 2017 4 have graduated and 1 has retired

Will do.

BTW you can generate that via the command line easily enough:
$ grep "status=" podlings.xml | grep 'startdate="2017' | wc
      15      95    1725
$ grep "status=\"retir" podlings.xml | grep 'startdate="2017' | wc
       1       7     133
$ grep "status=\"grad" podlings.xml | grep 'startdate="2017' | wc
       4      28     532
$ grep "status=\"curr" podlings.xml | grep 'startdate="2017' | wc
      10      60    1060

So of the 15 who joined 4 have graduated and 1 has retired.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Some interesting incubator stats

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Nice to see, thanks!

If you automate this or do it again I’d like to see  e.g. …

- Of the <X> podlings that joined in 2017 4 have graduated and 1 has retired

Thanks again
David Jencks

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Interesting stats. Thanks for sharing this.

Sheng Wu 吴晟

Apache SkyWalking
Apache Incubator
Apache ShardingSphere, ECharts, DolphinScheduler podlings
Zipkin
Twitter, wusheng1108

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

A little graph of podlings over time:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dC1XP-xqgJP9bRRqAalgHO2Vi5iDkkIG/view?usp=sharing

Download the file and open in a browser. If someone who actually knows how to use Apache ECcharts and javascript wants to play with this go ahead.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Some interesting incubator stats

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 1) the number of podlings entering has dropped dramatically. Some of that
> drop is probably really good, but this drop is extreme. This could be
> github effect or could be that Apache is viewed as old fuddy-duddies. Can't
> tell from the data, but I bet everybody has an opinion, warranted or not.

Re the "this drop is extreme”, another way of looking at it is that 2015 and 2016 we accepted too many projects and are still trying to digest them :-) A trend line through all of the data is still increasing upwards over time.

But let's go with a decrease in the last couple of year. It’s hard to tell why from the data alone. I think this is from a number of factors:
- We have been “rejecting” more projects
- Other options for project exists that didn’t before and we don’t actively encourage projects to join us
- The Incubator mentor carrying capacity is near it’s limit, it was over it’s limit a few years ago
- We have issues around diversity and are less attractive place to some projects to be because of that
- Some difficultly with adopting to modern workflows

> 2) the mean and max times to incubate were goofy 10 years ago. We have no
> evidence that the maximum has gotten much better since we still have some
> very old podlings hanging around, but I feel like the median is a bit
> better.

One of the changes from about 10 years ago have a shift from projects sponsoring projects to the incubator sponsoring them.

> 3) the minimum time to incubate has definitely increased over the last 10
> years. That might be due to the presence of the direct-to-TLP process.

Graphing the numbers Im not seeing that at all and it’s mostly the same. Given very few project gave gone direct to TLP I wouldn’t expect this to have much of an impact.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Some interesting incubator stats

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Here is the same data in tabular form, courtesy of python and R.

   startYear started finished min      mean           median      max
 1 2003           14       14  58 days  653.4286 days  329.0 days 2419 days
 2 2004           16       16   0 days  587.9375 days  341.5 days 2227 days
 3 2005           18       18   0 days  528.2222 days  582.5 days  989 days
 4 2006           20       20 129 days  620.8500 days  463.0 days 1485 days
 5 2007           11       11 196 days  754.1818 days  647.0 days 2132 days
 6 2008           19       19 281 days 1156.8421 days 1270.0 days 2579 days
 7 2009           14       14 102 days  735.2857 days  545.5 days 1836 days
 8 2010           22       22 282 days  842.5455 days  731.5 days 2599 days
 9 2011           27       27 126 days  580.4815 days  436.0 days 2675 days
10 2012           14       14 154 days  715.6429 days  531.0 days 1794 days
11 2013           23       22 161 days  571.3182 days  448.5 days 1619 days
12 2014           19       16 233 days  629.9375 days  487.5 days 1508 days
13 2015           30       25 183 days  623.0400 days  584.0 days 1468 days
14 2016           30       23 303 days  713.6087 days  673.0 days 1348 days
15 2017           15        5 329 days  505.0000 days  485.0 days  741 days
16 2018           14        2 294 days  373.5000 days  373.5 days  453 days
17 2019            9        0 Inf days       NaN days     NA days -Inf days

I see a few prominent things:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

For a podling exit point of view:

From 1 poddings that exited in 2003 1 graduated, 0 retired.
From 10 poddings that exited in 2004 9 graduated, 1 retired.
From 12 poddings that exited in 2005 11 graduated, 1 retired.
From 11 poddings that exited in 2006 6 graduated, 5 retired.
From 24 poddings that exited in 2007 17 graduated, 7 retired.
From 9 poddings that exited in 2008 7 graduated, 2 retired.
From 10 poddings that exited in 2009 7 graduated, 3 retired.
From 14 poddings that exited in 2010 12 graduated, 2 retired.
From 11 poddings that exited in 2011 6 graduated, 5 retired.
From 40 poddings that exited in 2012 33 graduated, 7 retired.
From 21 poddings that exited in 2013 20 graduated, 1 retired.
From 19 poddings that exited in 2014 17 graduated, 2 retired.
From 18 poddings that exited in 2015 12 graduated, 6 retired.
From 14 poddings that exited in 2016 12 graduated, 2 retired.
From 25 poddings that exited in 2017 19 graduated, 6 retired.
From 18 poddings that exited in 2018 9 graduated, 9 retired.
From 11 poddings that exited in 2019 9 graduated, 2 retired.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Some interesting incubator stats

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Interesting data help me learn more about incubator stats.

Thanks for your detailed numbers.

 Juan Pan

panjuan@apache.org
Juan Pan(Trista), Apache ShardingSphere