Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by pclnz <pe...@web1.co.nz> on 2010/05/18 03:13:07 UTC

percentage off spam

Wonder if anyone can help with a rule to combat thousands of spam I am
receiving in our mail server every day

I have tried to work out a .cf rule, but no luck so I am having to add
series a new rules every day

The spams have subject line like the below

Best prices for friends. You save 77%. migration married t the f
Good news, keith. This week we sell at -78%. Ewopyze
For info: Everything at -79%. show poor on
News for peter - popular brands 79% cheaper
For user peter: get -75% to all prices.
WholeSale craig! Buy at -82% today.

etc etc

The subject appear to change each day - is there a way of writing a rule
that can accommodate this type of spam

I have updated using sa-update - does not stop them

Thanks in advance

Peter

Re: percentage off spam

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
pclnz wrote:

> Wonder if anyone can help with a rule to combat thousands of spam I am
> receiving in our mail server every day
>
> I have tried to work out a .cf rule, but no luck so I am having to add
> series a new rules every day
>
> The spams have subject line like the below
>
> Best prices for friends. You save 77%. migration married t the f
> Good news, keith. This week we sell at -78%. Ewopyze
> For info: Everything at -79%. show poor on
> News for peter - popular brands 79% cheaper
> For user peter: get -75% to all prices.
> WholeSale craig! Buy at -82% today.
>
> etc etc
>
> The subject appear to change each day - is there a way of writing a
> rule that can accommodate this type of spam

Insufficent data - please post a link to some complete samples.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: percentage off spam

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Tue, 18 May 2010, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>  So throw some examples up on pastebin.
> Here's some:
> <http://sewingwitch.com/ken/Stuff/foo.txt>
>
> I'm currently catching them with this:
> header   KP_PERCENT             Subject =~ /\b-?[78][0-9]%/
> describe KP_PERCENT             70-89 percent in subject
> score    KP_PERCENT             1.0

Given how high these spams score already, this will work quite well.
I also noticed that the 'view in a browser' line repeats consistently.
I see some hits on RBL's and URIBL's. Perhaps those should score just a
little bit higher?

- C

RE: percentage off spam

Posted by Peter Lowish <pe...@web1.co.nz>.
Thanks so much - worked excellently

Thanks to all who answered

Cheers
Peter

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Re: percentage off spam

Re: percentage off spam

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.

> Best prices for friends. You save 77%. migration married t the f
> Good news, keith. This week we sell at -78%. Ewopyze
> For info: Everything at -79%. show poor on
> News for peter - popular brands 79% cheaper
> For user peter: get -75% to all prices.
> WholeSale craig! Buy at -82% today.

These match a lot of them:

Subject =~ /\%.*(special|lower|sale|off|on|today)/i

Subject =~ /(don.t miss|special|save|sale).*\%/i

Subject =~ /-\d+\%/

You probably can't give more than 1 or 2 points or you'll fp.

They keep changing too. The minus-percent just started recently.

Joseph Brennan