Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by "James E. King III" <jk...@apache.org> on 2019/01/02 14:24:12 UTC

Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

We currently have two projects to support.NET 3.5 and .NET 4.5.  The
differences are minor but it causes us to have to build two projects.  Do
we need to continue to maintain support for .NET < 4.5 ?

- Jim

Re: Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.
Hey Jens,
Problems with a .Net Standard lib?
--Randy

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 10:39 AM Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Great idea. Not.

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@rx-m.com
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

Re: Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Great idea. Not.

> [...]

> > > differences between the two was the question)
> > >
> > > Allen
> > >

> > > On January 2, 2019 at 15:55:41, Jens Geyer (jensgeyer@hotmail.com)
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > start a vote. A while ago some people claimed that 4.5+ was not
> > > available
> > > on
> > > their particular subset of Mono. I tend to think that this is no
> > > longer
> > the
> > > case anymore, so we should drop anything below 4.5.
> > >
> > > And since wer'e at it: Same for Silverlight, if you ask me. It is
> > > still
> > > supported until 2012 by Microsoft, but I doubt if anyone really uses
> > > it
> > > except for maintaining legacy projects. Maybe we should have a vote

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@rx-m.com
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

Re: Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.
A .Net Standard library should work with a .NET Core app, a .NET
Framework/Mono app or a Xamarin app. I think it would be best to make
Thrift a .net standard lib exclusively. Given our lack of need for GUI
features it seems we should be easily able to comply with .Net
Standard. Probably should get rid of csharp (and and maybe netcore)
dir and merge everything (into a netstandard dir?). If .Net Framework
4.5 support is important we could do .net Standard 1.0. For testing
netcore seems the right approach as it is likely the choice for cloud
native microservices and offers the most direct impl of the standard.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 7:45 AM James E. King III <jk...@apache.org> wrote:

> To clarify, voting on C++03 and Cocoa ends tomorrow.
> We'll call for votes on others.
>
> If we could merge netcore into lib/csharp and have a single project produce
> both net45 and netstandard2.0 targets that would be ideal...  I'm not sure
> how compatible the code is though.
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 8:34 PM Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>
> wrote:
>
> > @jking  yes /lib/netcore is the .Net Core impl, I am suggesting we
> > ultimately remove /lib/csharp, which is the .Net Framework impl. I am
> > _not_ suggesting we just del it, I am suggesting we direct all new
> > contrib to netcore and stop taking pulls for csharp and create an
> > incentive to port everything in C# missing from netcore (simple in
> > most cases I've looked at).
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM Allen George <al...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > So, just to be clear, proposed language removals are:

> > > Cocoa
> > > C++03 or less
> > >
> > > Open:
> > >
> > > JavaME (potential; I’ll look at setting up an Android CI environment and
> > > using the standard Java lib there to see if it’s feasible)
> > > .net 4.5 or less (no vote yet)
> > > Silverlight
> > > One of nodets/ts (can we end up only with one, or are there legitimate
> > > differences between the two was the question)
> > >
> > > Allen
> > >

> > > On January 2, 2019 at 15:55:41, Jens Geyer (jensgeyer@hotmail.com)
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > start a vote. A while ago some people claimed that 4.5+ was not available
> > > on
> > > their particular subset of Mono. I tend to think that this is no longer
> > the
> > > case anymore, so we should drop anything below 4.5.
> > >
> > > And since wer'e at it: Same for Silverlight, if you ask me. It is still
> > > supported until 2012 by Microsoft, but I doubt if anyone really uses it
> > > except for maintaining legacy projects. Maybe we should have a vote about
> > > that too.
> > >
> > > Have fun,
> > > JensG

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@rx-m.com
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

Re: Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

Posted by "James E. King III" <jk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
That's the reason why I just started doing it to find out all the gaps and
loose ends. I will make tickets and patches for all roadbumps I run into.

Posted by "James E. King III" <jk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

I just created THRIFT-4723 for this. I think that's the best solution.

Have fun,
JensG

Posted by "James E. King III" <jk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.
Ya, I think that is a prereq for sure.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:01 AM Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can we make sure all fixes to the C# bindings made in the meantime are also
> in netcore? Otherwise I'm against it.

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@rx-m.com
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

Re: Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Can we make sure all fixes to the C# bindings made in the meantime are also
in netcore? Otherwise I'm against it.

ultimately remove /lib/csharp, which is the .Net Framework impl. I am
_not_ suggesting we just del it, I am suggesting we direct all new
contrib to netcore and stop taking pulls for csharp and create an
incentive to port everything in C# missing from netcore (simple in
most cases I've looked at).

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM Allen George <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, just to be clear, proposed language removals are:

> Cocoa
> C++03 or less
>
> Open:
>
> JavaME (potential; I’ll look at setting up an Android CI environment and
> using the standard Java lib there to see if it’s feasible)
> .net 4.5 or less (no vote yet)
> Silverlight
> One of nodets/ts (can we end up only with one, or are there legitimate
> differences between the two was the question)
>
> Allen
>

> On January 2, 2019 at 15:55:41, Jens Geyer (jensgeyer@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> start a vote. A while ago some people claimed that 4.5+ was not available
> on
> their particular subset of Mono. I tend to think that this is no longer
> the
> case anymore, so we should drop anything below 4.5.
>
> And since wer'e at it: Same for Silverlight, if you ask me. It is still
> supported until 2012 by Microsoft, but I doubt if anyone really uses it
> except for maintaining legacy projects. Maybe we should have a vote about
> that too.
>
> Have fun,
> JensG

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@rx-m.com
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

Re: Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.
@jking  yes /lib/netcore is the .Net Core impl, I am suggesting we
ultimately remove /lib/csharp, which is the .Net Framework impl. I am
_not_ suggesting we just del it, I am suggesting we direct all new
contrib to netcore and stop taking pulls for csharp and create an
incentive to port everything in C# missing from netcore (simple in
most cases I've looked at).

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM Allen George <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, just to be clear, proposed language removals are:

> Cocoa
> C++03 or less
>
> Open:
>
> JavaME (potential; I’ll look at setting up an Android CI environment and
> using the standard Java lib there to see if it’s feasible)
> .net 4.5 or less (no vote yet)
> Silverlight
> One of nodets/ts (can we end up only with one, or are there legitimate
> differences between the two was the question)
>
> Allen
>

> On January 2, 2019 at 15:55:41, Jens Geyer (jensgeyer@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> start a vote. A while ago some people claimed that 4.5+ was not available
> on
> their particular subset of Mono. I tend to think that this is no longer the
> case anymore, so we should drop anything below 4.5.
>
> And since wer'e at it: Same for Silverlight, if you ask me. It is still
> supported until 2012 by Microsoft, but I doubt if anyone really uses it
> except for maintaining legacy projects. Maybe we should have a vote about
> that too.
>
> Have fun,
> JensG

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@rx-m.com
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

Re: Support for lib/csharp .NET Framework before 4.5?

Posted by "James E. King III" <jk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.
While we're in the process of dropping old lang vers, I think we
should consider only tracking the latest version of .Net Core (2.2).
Core is CLI build friendly and cross platform. The .Net Framework can
run all Core apps AFAIK so no loss in dropping the Framework for
forward looking stuff.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 6:24 AM James E. King III <jk...@apache.org> wrote:

> We currently have two projects to support.NET 3.5 and .NET 4.5.  The
> differences are minor but it causes us to have to build two projects.  Do
> we need to continue to maintain support for .NET < 4.5 ?
>
> - Jim

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC