Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Ross Laidlaw <rl...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/08 20:14:21 UTC

Request for advice on workflows

Hi All,

I'm working on an OODT setup (v0.8.1) with several workflow tasks defined
and working well individually.  I can use the wmgr-client to fire off jobs
separately and all appears to be working as planned.  I'd like to combine
these tasks into a workflow so that I don't have to run each set of jobs.
For example, in the workflow I'd like to run several 'task A' jobs and when
all these have finished I'd like the workflow to automatically start
several 'task B' jobs, etc.

I found some example workflows in the distribution, plus several guides up
on the wiki.  Is there a current recommended way of setting up a simple
workflow?  Should I use workflow v2 or is it best to stick with v1?  Once
I've set up a workflow, how do I start it off?  It looks like it might be
possible to nest workflows, is that functionality available yet?

Additionally, what's the best way to check on the status of currently
running jobs?  I've used the pcs_stat tool a lot and it's great for
checking on the overall status, but is there a recommended way to check
e.g. if any 'task A' jobs are still running for a certain workflow and what
state they're currently in?

Many thanks in advance for your advice,

Ross

Re: Request for advice on workflows

Posted by Ross Laidlaw <rl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your advice.  I'll check out the PackagedWorkflowRepository and will let you know how it goes.

Ross