Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/24 07:07:03 UTC

Cutting a 4.4.1 release ?

Hi,
I would like to cut a minor release for 4.4.0 branch, because I have a
bunch of projects which are currently using the 4.5 snapshot only for
minor issues.

This is the list of issues I would like to cherrypick to 4.4 branch,
all of them are minor improvements but for me they are blockers

BOOKKEEPER-1019 Support for reading entries after LAC (causal
consistency driven by out-of-band communications)
Patch: https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/121

BOOKKEEPER-1001 Make LocalBookiesRegistry.isLocalBookie() public
Patch: https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/106

BOOKKEEPER-927 Extend BOOKKEEPER-886 to LedgerHandleAdv too
(BOOKKEEPER-886: Allow to disable ledgers operation throttling)
Patch: https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/45

I would like to add this one too, it is a safe change and compatible
with 4.4 branch, but it modifies metadata. This is optional for me, I
can wait for 4.5

BOOKKEEPER-922 Create a generic (K,V) map to store ledger metadata
Patch: https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/46

Do you think it is possible ?

I can do the work but I will need some help and guidance thru the process

-- Enrico

Re: Cutting a 4.4.1 release ?

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.
With this simple patch list, point release makes sense, especially when we
are cherry picking. Not sure what is the advantage we are going to get by
changing 4.5.0 plan.

Thanks,
JV

--
Jvrao
---

Re: Cutting a 4.4.1 release ?

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
> 4.4.* should only be the bug fix branch for 4.4.0.

I apologize, I didn't know all the rules yet

> If we are cutting a new release from master, it should be 4.5.0. This is
> just to follow release standard and make things clear.
>
> If we agree on current feature set, we can cut 4.5.0 and defer some
> features into 4.6.0.

From my point of view I am OK with cutting now a new release with the

Re: Cutting a 4.4.1 release ?

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.