Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/09/25 05:25:39 UTC

can Xalan be compiled under JDK 1.4.x?

Hi all,

I've looked around the list archives a bit, but can't readily find an
answer to this.  Is there a reliable way to get modern versions of Xalan to
compile under JDK 1.4.x?

The only way I've found so far is to carefully set javac's bootclasspath to
include all jars important to the JDK but exclude the jar containing Xalan;
but since jars are laid out in a vendor-dependent way, it's not
obvious to me that it would be easy to code a clean and portable solution
on these lines.  I've also played with things like this:

      javac -J-Xbootclasspath/p:modern_xalan_dir modern_xalan_files

but this still doesn't seem to permit classes to be prepended to the
cootclasspath that javac's using.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: can Xalan be compiled under JDK 1.4.x?

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
neilg@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've looked around the list archives a bit, but can't readily find an
> answer to this.  Is there a reliable way to get modern versions of Xalan to
> compile under JDK 1.4.x?
>
> The only way I've found so far is to carefully set javac's bootclasspath to
> include all jars important to the JDK but exclude the jar containing Xalan;
> but since jars are laid out in a vendor-dependent way, it's not
> obvious to me that it would be easy to code a clean and portable solution
> on these lines.  I've also played with things like this:
>
>       javac -J-Xbootclasspath/p:modern_xalan_dir modern_xalan_files
>
> but this still doesn't seem to permit classes to be prepended to the
> cootclasspath that javac's using.
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated!

I noticed that you are using the -J-Xbootclasspath/p option here.  In my
last email message, I suggesting using the -bootclasspath option which
has a *similar* name, but has a *different* meaning.  The one I
mentioned is a cross-compiling option.  See docs such as
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/solaris/javac.html for more
info.  I believe the -J options would affect the JVM that javac itself
is running under and not affect where javac itself resolves classes from.

-Edwin