Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> on 2015/12/08 17:57:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] December 2015 Board Report

Hello VCL development community,
We have a board report due by the end of the day tomorrow, 12/9/2015.
Please let me know what issues you think should be communicated to the
board.  I started a Confluence page for the report:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/2015-12-16+Apache+VCL+Board+Report

I will update this as people share their thoughts.  If you have write
access, feel free to edit it but please make sure you also reply to this
thread if you add anything not discussed here.

I'd like to begin with a general discussion on the health of the
community.  We need to be mindful of the following section from:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/reporting

PMC and committer diversity

> A healthy project should survive the departure of any single contributor
> or employer of contributors. Healthy projects also serve needs of many
> parties. Thus the ASF prefers that projects have diverse PMCs and
> committerships. IF the PMC has any concerns or perceives a problem with
> the diversity, then the report should include information on the number of
> unique organizations currently represented in its PMC and committership.

We have not added a new committer in 2 years and have no prospects as far
as I know.  This statistic is automatically included in the board report
via a tool used to assist in report generation.  These details eventually
get the attention of the board.  Not adding new committers over a certain
timespan is not necessarily critical in my opinion, as long as the project
is functioning well and a relatively diverse group of people are regularly
contributing.  I'm not sure if this is the case with Apache VCL.  If anyone
has any ideas or thoughts regarding this, please share.  Also, it may be
helpful to take a look back at:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/community.html

And lastly, a status update of things I have recently been working on:
"Allow customization of notification messages sent to users" (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-919)
Backend is just about done.  I'll commit what I have soon.  The backend
changes could be released without frontend control being completed since
the functionality should remain unchanged.  I did notice some of the email
messages VCL 2.4.2 is sending are no longer accurate as they reference
parts of the frontend which changed.

"Add support for Windows 10 images" (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-893)
I noticed the KMS activation is not working if User Account Control is
enabled because the commands are not "Run as Administrator".  This is
important and needs to be resolved prior to a release.

"Allow VMware VMs on standalone hosts to be migrated" (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-844)
I'm still chipping away at this and it won't be ready for general
consumption this month.  It has however proven to be an extremely useful
feature.  We are running post-2.4.2 code on some production management
nodes.  This feature has allowed us to move VMs among standalone ESXi hosts
allowing host upgrades and storage problems to be addressed without
adversely affecting end users.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: [DISCUSS] December 2015 Board Report

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
All,

I don't have anything useful to add, but wanted to share my concerns as well.

Andy, Thank you for putting together the board report(s).

Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
NC State University

Re: [DISCUSS] December 2015 Board Report

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu