Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2001/07/26 01:10:47 UTC

New code for APR-UTIL...

Anyone interested in having some code to tie up a Java VM to APR...
I was thinking about writing a new piece of APR-UTIL. It would be cool to
have (I'm writing a JNI plugin for Tomcat-4.0, and use APR to use the DSO
JVM dll)...

    Pier

Re: New code for APR-UTIL...

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 12:10:47AM +0100, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:
> Anyone interested in having some code to tie up a Java VM to APR...
> I was thinking about writing a new piece of APR-UTIL. It would be cool to
> have (I'm writing a JNI plugin for Tomcat-4.0, and use APR to use the DSO
> JVM dll)...

What would be in apr-util?  I'm not clear what would need to go in
apr-util.

apr-util is the proverbial kitchen-sink.  Almost anything goes in here.
I think we can work something out though.  =)  -- justin

Re: New code for APR-UTIL...

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
And too bad, but impossible... Under OS/X, to load the library I need to
call NSAddModule, as the JVM lib is not linked as a MH_BUNDLE (shit). So we
can't really load the VM in any environment using APR (under OS/X you use
NSLinkModule)...

And on Linux, the libjvm.so file MUST be in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable (as
dlopen fails miserably if it's not there).

Shit I should think twice before posting :)

I'll keep the implementation (right now) as clean and as APR-like as
possible (reusing stuff where I can), and when this will be hopefully fixed
in OS/X 10.1 (coming in September), we could plan an integration...

Basically, what I wanted to do, was to, given a JAVA_HOME environment
variable, call something like apr_java_load(...) which would return a
pointer to a JNIEnv... What I wanted to do was to have an easier invocation
mechanism to discover and construct the JVM...

The code is right now non-APRized in the jakarta-tomcat-4.0/service
repository, but since I'm rewriting it, I wanted to make it more APR
friendly.

    Pier

Re: New code for APR-UTIL...

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.