Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/31 15:27:32 UTC

branch 4_x vs trunk

Are all the checkins made to 4_x branch available in the trunk too? I see
some tests failing in trunk but 4_x is passing all tests

Noble Paul

Re: branch 4_x vs trunk

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/31/2013 7:27 AM, Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् wrote:
> Are all the checkins made to 4_x branch available in the trunk too? I
> see some tests failing in trunk but 4_x is passing all tests

Everything in 4x should be in trunk, though sometimes trunk will get a
slightly different commit because its code is slightly different, or it
has a feature that 4x doesn't.

The divergence between trunk and 4x has been pretty small up to now, at
least for Solr, where my energy goes.

It's fairly normal to have problems in trunk that don't exist in
branch_4x.  Occasionally the reverse is true, which is a lot more
worrisome.  Either way, test failures are taken seriously, especially if
they happen on Jenkins.  If you have a consistent failure that doesn't
eventually go away when you update your checkout or make a clean
checkout, please file an issue.

Because trunk and 4x target different versions of Java, and we
occasionally make changes only in trunk, the code divergence is likely
to begin accelerating sharply.  We'll want to have a release plan for
5.0 in the works before that happens.

Thanks,
Shawn