Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by mounkye <mo...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/05 18:00:51 UTC

james trouble to start

Hi,

I have some trouble installing James. It seems many people have the
same log but I did not find any answer to this error.
Could you help us?

regards,

Mathieu

Re: james trouble to start

Posted by Ian Wilson <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mathieu;

This particular error is because the port that you're trying to open
is already open.

ERROR   2008-02-05 17:21:57.328 [Phoenix.] (): There was an error
running phase "startup" for Block named "pop3server". (Reason:
Component named "pop3server" failed to pass through the Starting
stage. (Reason: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:
JVM_Bind).).

If you're on a Linux system, you can do a netstat -tulpn | grep <port>
to find out the pid of the process that is locking the port, then do a
kill -9 to forcibly quit.

If you're on a Windows system, you might have to get help from someone
who understands windows systems a little bit better than I do.

Hope this helps;

Ian
--
Ian Wilson
ian.m.wilson@gmail.com

Solving site load issues with database replication is a lot like
solving your own personal problems with heroin -- at first, it sorta
works, but after a while things just get out of hand.

Re: james trouble to start

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
mounkye ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I have some trouble installing James. It seems many people have the
> same log but I did not find any answer to this error.
> Could you help us?

You already have something listening to the pop3 port (the default is
110). Maybe you have another pop3 server already installed and running
or maybe you have another james instance still running.

"telnet <yourip> 110" will give you a one line welcome message that
should let you understand what kind of server is listening to your pop3
port.

-----------
ERROR   2008-02-05 17:21:57.328 [Phoenix.] (): There was an error
running phase "startup" for Block named "pop3server". (Reason: Component
named "pop3server" failed to pass through the Starting stage. (Reason:
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind).).
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
Component named "pop3server" failed to pass through the Starting stage.
(Reason: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind).
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.fail(LifecycleHelper.java:354)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(LifecycleHelper.java:226)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.startup(DefaultApplication.java:530)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.doRunPhase(DefaultApplication.java:478)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.runPhase(DefaultApplication.java:409)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.start(DefaultApplication.java:180)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.start(ContainerUtil.java:260)

-------

Stefano