Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Corey Fritz <co...@snagajob.com> on 2020/05/28 18:03:57 UTC

Question re: upcoming .Net reflection support in 1.10

I submitted a question here earlier about the availability of 1.10,
specifically because we are starting to write .Net Kafka clients that need
to use Avro serde, and we would love to be able to use the support being
added in 1.10 to use reflection to serde POCOs.

We have not been able to wait for this release (and the subsequent release
of the Confluent Avro serializers that would use it), so we've been rolling
our own code in the meantime, using what's in the unreleased master branch
as inspiration.

Yesterday, we found a bug in our code where our schemas generated via
reflection are not setting default values. This is a big problem, because
it means we cannot add new fields to existing schemas and maintain
backwards compatibility. We're addressing that bug in _our_ code, but we
also could not find analogous code in the master branch of Avro. I wanted
to bring this up here to try to get confirmation that the .Net schema
generation via reflection will have support for setting default values. I'm
hoping we are just missing something, or maybe that feature has not yet
been merged to master.

*Corey Fritz | Architect*
corey.fritz@snagajob.com
*office* | 866.227.0466